We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Hamilton

milwaukee
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lake Hamilton

Has anyone been to lake hamilton? Is it anything like lake of the ozarks? Are there any bars/restaurants accessible from the lake on a boat? Are there any sand beach areas to stop at on the boat?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Hamilton

I would describe Lake Hamilton as a party lake. Weekends are busy with jet skis and tubing. There are plenty of nearby bars and restaurants. It is right in Hot Springs and is almost completely surrounded by cabins, houses, condos, docks and hotels. There are some quiet channels and bays but the main lake is pretty busy on weekends. Some think a little too busy. But plenty fun! My family likes nothing better than renting a large boat and going tubing with a group of friends. You asked about a beach to pull off on in a boat - others may know of one but I can't recall ever doing that. Lake Ouachita is a few miles away and like night and day with Hamilton. Huge lake, totally undeveloped and protected natural banks, except for a handful of resorts and a state park. It has some islands where groups like to visit.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Hamilton

Thanks for your help :)

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Hamilton

There are four parks on Lake Hamilton, but no real beach. The parks are mostly used to put boats in the water, swim (in a small designated area) and, perhaps, sunbathe. There are, however, a few islands where people pull up in their boats and swim, hang out, walk in the water, etc. Hamilton is, as stated by jimjade, a very social lake... hotels, condos, homes. restaurants, bars, clubs, gas, even some shopping is available ..it is several miles long and winds West, South and East of Hot Springs, In some places, it is actually in the town of HS...though not downtown. I live on Lake H. and love it...Lake Ouachita is also quite busy on the weekends, especially in the areas where the resorts are. It is very large and people easily get lost on it, so they often stay close to the resorts. There are very few commercial places since it is a Corps of Engineer lake.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Hamilton

Lake Hamilton is similar but much smaller than Lake of the Ozarks. They're both party lakes but like the Lake Hamilton is only 7,200 acres and only has a few hundred miles of shoreline. Hamilton will not have as many large cruisers and go-fast boats. If you go far enough into the far reaches, you can find quiet places on Hamilton, but I'm not a big fan of swimming in it, unless I am up by the Blakely Dam, where the water comes out of a Lake Ouachita (pronounced wa-sha-tau).

Also during the summer, especially on the weekends, it is crowded to the point of being dangerous.

Edited: 6:47 pm, April 18, 2013
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Hamilton

People who live on Lake Hamilton tend to use the lake weekend mornings. My home is in a quieter area of the lake near a no wake zone but we tend to boat mostly weekdays. Unfortunately, there are too many people using boats without proper education. It can get very dangerous. I'd love to see a checkpoint for boater education certificates or drunk driving on Lake Hamilton. No beaches. We will tie up to an island when we want to layout on a long boat ride. Otherwise, finding a cove and putting down anchor works very well.

6. Re: Lake Hamilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 24, 2014