We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

Hamakua
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Topic
Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

Aloha Trip Advisor folks,

A niece is getting married in March, 2007 in Scottsdale, Arizona so we will be going over there for a week to ten days. For a couple days before the wedding we will be doing things with relatives, then we will have four to seven days to do....? What does one do in Arizona? In March?

We're basically sedendary, middle aged and rural. We also live in Hawaii and are also used to moderate weather and anything below fifty five degrees farenheit is "freezing". I'm not even sure if we have warm socks, let alone heavy coats. All I own in footwear is "slippers" which folks on the mainland call "flip flops". I suppose there will be a need for some sort of warmer foot gear? Blister city, ouch! Will it be cold in March? Snow? (Shivering already!)

There seems to be the Grand Canyon and Sedona near to Scottsdale. Although hiking at high altitudes isn't going to be high on our list of things to do. Mules would be good, but heights aren't exactly on MY list of things to search for so mule rides into the canyon may not be on the list.

I've also seen here on the forum that folks have compared Sedona to Branson, Missouri. Which is a shame, since Branson went from a lovely trout fishing town to some sort of monster tourist trap within several decades. I had a grandfather who chose to live there for the fishing way back before it was famous and we would spend quiet summers there. If Sedona is anything like the current Branson, maybe we should detour around there.

Jerome may be interesting, but we haven't really researched it yet. Is the grand canyon good for non-hiking folks?

We are also looking for the economy accomodations and sights. I'm sure the mules - other than walking too close to edges with steep drop offs, would also be too expensive for us anyway. We don't need a hotel with a spa. Are there any good hostels in the area? Are there any good basic rooms with a bed? I'm completely clueless about these sorts of things since we don't have motels here. Hawaii only has fancy resorts, hotels and the occasional bed & breakfast with a few hostels here and there. No motels so I'm not familiar with the different ones which may be available in Arizona.

I'm looking online at different Arizona webpages, but I'm still confused by it all. Any good ideas on things to do?

A hui hou,

Hotzcatz

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Branson
Branson
Missouri
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,684 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
618 Reviews
from $276.99*
$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,182 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Phoenix
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

I'll answer your weather questions, but leave the Phoenix area lodging advice to others more qualified to address.

In Phoenix/Scottsdale, March is about the time of year the temperature really swings, so it depends if you are visiting in early March or late March. The weather in March is roughly comparable to the weather in November, so highs around 75 and lows around 45. I find it cold in the mornings and evenings this time of year, so likely you will too. I wear socks and sweaters, long pants and often a jacket, but don't need a heavy coat. My parents from Minnesota find this amazing, as they are in shorts and t shirts when they visit for Christmas!

If you visit Sedona, you will find the highs in the 60s and the lows in the 30s, and Jerome is comparable. I've not been to Jerome, but I know many who have and would recommend it highly.

At the Grand Canyon, highs should be in the 50s and lows in the 20s and there may be snow.

In Tucson, the high temperatures should be in the 70s and the lows in the 40s.

As far as things to do around Arizona, if you are going to be here, you might as well see the Grand Canyon. At the canyon we stayed at the historic El Tovar at the south rim. In March the rates should be fairly reasonable. Nevertheless, book it early. Not being a hiker myself, I took a helicopter tour of the canyon.

Tucson would be an interesting place to visit and get some really good Mexican food in. You might try Mi Nidito: http://www.minidito.net/main.html

If you are interested in missions, this is one of the best: http://www.sanxaviermission.org/

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,254 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Mi Nidito
Mi Nidito
509 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

Are you planning to do anything else in Phoenix? Why not just base yourself in Flagstaff for your trip? It'll be colder there and there will probably be snow on the ground still, but you'll be closer to what you really want to see.

There are no hostels at the Canyon. The closest ones are in Flagstaff: the DeBeaux and the Grand Canyon Hostel. The DeBeaux is more for the young, party crowd, so I'd suggest the GC (I really liked it there). However, Flagstaff has lots of decent, cheap motels (about $40). If you already have a car, you may as well stay at them because the hostels are about the same price.

Arizona is just a hiking state. You certainly don't have to hike at the Canyon, but you should at least take one of the shorter hikes down to the stopping points just to experience it.

I'm sorry, but Branson???? Sedona is NOTHING like Branson. It's not just some tacky, Southern Vegas wannabe. Sedona is surrounded by astounding natural beauty and has a New Age/Metaphysical tourist trade developed around it. Sedona is a MUST in Arizona just to see the red rocks.

I've always found Jerome too touristy and too crowded. If you can get there on an off day (i.e. - weekday), then certainly check it out. It's a nice drive also. If you can make it down to Bisbee though, it's much nicer and much less crowded (I guess because it's too far for the Phoenix hordes).

For Tucson, San Xavier is a great suggestion (although Mi Nidito is a little more contentious, but I won't even get into the food thing). There's actually quite a bit to do here: the Desert Museum, the Botanical Gardens, Saguaro National Park, Mount Lemmon, several great museums, the Fourth Avenue area, etc. Hotels are also relatively cheap.

hth

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician
The Canyon Suites at The...
461 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Branson
Branson
Missouri
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Bisbee
Bisbee
Arizona
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Mi Nidito
Mi Nidito
509 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Tucson Botanical Gardens
Tucson Botanical Gardens
841 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
The Saguaro Scottsdale
The Saguaro Scottsdale
937 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Mount Lemmon
Mount Lemmon
300 Reviews
Arizona
Hamakua
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

Aloha Arizona2 & ColinAZ,

It looks like I'd better find some sort of warmer shoes. It has been decades since I've worn anything other than sandals, more than likely there will be blisters. I don't know if hiking is going to be high on the list of things to do with sore feet, but the helicopter ride sounded like a good idea, Arizona2. Depending on how the feet do, maybe some short hikes, but nothing long since we won't have hiking or camping gear with us.

I'll look into El Tovar, does it have a view of the canyon? Looking at the canyon while inside a building if there is snow around the place seems like a good thing to me! We will be there in late March, but all those temperatures seem really cold - to us at least - so we will bring along all the warm things we have, which aren't many at all. Our warm things are flannel jackets, long pants and socks. Oh yeah, long sleeves, but we don't have many of those. Arrgh! Why couldn't the neice have chosen to get married in Tahiti, Bali, Thailand or somewhere much warmer? And mainland folks are always more formal in their clothes, too. Wish we had a "going to the mainland" clothing rental company around here!

Mi Nidito looked like a very interesting restaurant and the prices were really reasonable. I'm not sure about the warning not to leave money on the table, though, at the end of the menu. I take it that was a suggestion to leave the tip on the tab and not on the table?

I'll look at Flagstaff, ColinAZ and see if that is a good place to find hostels and motels. The motels seem to have a very inexpensive price. We are used to much more expensive lodgings, although I think some of the hostels around here are much cheaper.

That is good to hear that Sedona isn't like Branson. Maybe we will visit there. Astounding natural beauty is good although it seems awfully dry natural beauty. A botanical garden in the desert might be worth seeing. I'm not sure about new age metaphysical folks, hopefully we won't get them upset or ruin their harmonic vibrations with dis-belief or anything rude like that.

Okay, so there's Mexican food, red rock formations, the canyon and missions in Arizona. What's your favorite part of Arizona and what do you do when you are there?

A hui hou,

Hotzcatz

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,254 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Mi Nidito
Mi Nidito
509 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Branson
Branson
Missouri
Arizona
Arizona
United States
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,693 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

You don't have to hike at the GrandCanyon. You can drive from one view point to the next. I fyou are not used to closed shoes try canvas sneakers or walking sandals with socks. The good thing about Arizona for you guys is that much of it is rural. The scenery will just be more desert than tropical like you are used to but still unique an dbeautiful.

One thing we like to do is visit Native American tribal lands(indian reservations) they are inetersting to see. YOu can driv eto Canyon de Chelly or to Monument Valley an dget a nativ eguide and stay at the local motel.

There are lots of motel chains. The only thing that will decide which one is money.Best Western and Hampton Inns are good chains . They often supply bkfst as well. If you want to spend less then try Comfort inns ,super 8 orany of th eothers. I htink Sedona has becomevery toruisty and expensive . YOu can drive around an/or walk around there without actually staying there.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Canyon de Chelly Tours
Canyon de Chelly Tours
385 Reviews
Chinle, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

March is almost always the coldest time of the year at least in Northern Az we get most of our snow there but hey who knows. Just always be prepared for it and layer layer layer.

Jerome is one of my favorite spots especially for those one of a kind gifts ect. Its a living art community more than a ghost town any more can easily be done in an hour or two.

You don't need to be hikers to enjoy the canyon from above. Most people see it from the rim. But a better perspective would be to take a plane ride or helicopter ride.

Sedona is nice and is usually warmer than flagstaff or grand canyon area. You do have to get out and hike it to appreciate it. Because on the surface it looks like a bunch of shops but the beauty is within the hidden canyons. I'd suggest a jeep tour of some kind no need to worry about heights.

www.visitsedona.com

www.pinkjeep.com

www.flagstaffchamber.com

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

ps...I'll glady trade you locations for a week would love to scuba dive Hawaii ! :) haha

Mentioned in this post
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

I want to second the suggestion of walking sandals and socks.

Grand Canyon is not to be missed if you'll only be in Arizona once, BUT the weather will be iffy...I just wanted to mention that there is a lot to see without hiking in Tuscon and the weather should be warmer.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Hamakua
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

March is the coldest month!! Ack! This is snow and stuff, isn't it? I'll start asking my neighbors if they have any warm coats and things we can borrow. I think our flannel shirts just won't be up to the task. We have about fifteen umbrellas and no winter coats.

Driving along the rim and looking at scenic overlooks is probably going to be our grand canyon experience. Hiking in cold is not good. Hiking with COLD sore feet is even worse.

We may have to make two itineraries, a "North" itinerary for if the weather isn't as cold as it could be and a "South" itinerary for in case it is snowing in the Northern parts of the state. My toes freeze just watching the snowy Christmas commercials on TV.

Do folks have to make reservations for things like motels very far in advance or can folks just appear at their door and find rooms?

Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

I really think that you should stay home....sounds like you are not going to enjoy this trip at all! :) Have them email pictures to you instead!..or offer to host the wedding for them- just to be sure that it will be warm enough! I'm sure they would appreciate your offer! Waaay too many things that you already don't like! Jusst my opinion!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

See if you can borrow some jackets and perhapse get a few sweaters because it dose get cold. Best advice is to layer layer layer like a tshirt, flannel and jacket. Now if you do get real cold feet and hands there is this stuff called feet warmers that skiiers use and its a chemical pack that you place in your shoes between your shoe and socks(not directly on skin). You can get them at most sporting good places. Also if you don't want to spend a ton of money on winter clothing items I'd suggest hitting perhapse the savers or salvation army stores in Flagstaff. Savers is a 2nd hand store on the east side of flagstaff by the mall. Also suggest getting ski or snowboarding socks for extra warmth they cost a little more but do a good job of keeping you warm. But don't let the thought of cold detour you from your trip. More than likely you will be having too much fun to think about it unless we do get a storm while you are here.

And who knows we could have 60 deg weather with our wired weather but generally it is one of the colder months of winter with 50/50 chance of snow being around.

As for lodging my suggestion is that its always good to book in advance. If you need to change or cancle a reservation just keep in mind of their policy and do it before the penalty time.

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Sacramento CA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arizona in March? Is it cold? Do we need shoes?

OK, you CANT forget Major League Baseball Spring Training in Arizona In March! I have gone every year for the last 20 years and its a blast - usually pretty warm during the day (80 - 85 degrees). For the whole month the teams play exhibition games at beautiful and intimate little stadiums. Also, try a side trip down to Nogales, Mexico (2 hr drive & great deals) or to Tubac, a great little artist colony. Tons of stuff to do down there!!

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Nogales
Nogales
Arizona
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tubac
Tubac