We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

Adirondack Mountains
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

I posted earlier about my trip but by some luck I have been able to extend my vacation following LV… I was going to drive to GCNP Bright Angel Lodge for a night and Sedona for one night before flying home from Phoenix. Now I have three additional nights to work with so I would like to add Page and Monument Valley. I was going to spend one night in Page, two in MV, one in GNCP and one in Sedona…. in that Order. My flight out of Phoenix is late evening.

The problem is DH wants to see the Hoover Dam which changes our direction, to GCNP first. I am not sure from looking at google maps if the order should be GCNP-Page-MV-Sedona, or if it is better to wait and go through Page (Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe) after Monument Valley. Does anyone have an opinion on this, or maybe I am distributing the nights in a less than optimal way?

This will be in February using a rental car, so crowds will be low but no 4WD…. if these variables make any difference. I don't think we will be doing a lot of hiking given the weather, it is mostly about scenic opportunities. I am waiting for retirement to spend extended time at the places we like best so it isn't like we won't be back some day.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

If Hoover dam is a must (there's a similar dam in Page called Glen Canyon Dam) I'd do:

1. Las Vegas-Hoover Dam-GCNP

2. GCNP-Page

3. Page-Monument Valley

4. Monument Valley-Sedona

5. Sedona.

You don't need 2 nights at Monument Valley imo.

Tet

Adirondack Mountains
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

Thanks Tet…. I didn't know about Glen Canyon Dam. I will look into that and possibly save some driving time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

I would use the extra time to enhance the quality of your vacation rather than trying to cram in more destimations. Spend 2 nights at the Grand Canyon National Park and 3 at Sedona. That will give you the time you want for Hoover Dam and still a full day at the GC. One night at Sedona isn't nearly enough. If you add Page and Monument Valley you'll be spending more time in the car than out.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

I think the route that Tet provided makes the most sense, but unfortunately you do not have the time to enjoy it. RedRox is correct, you will be in the car more than at the destinations. Unless you are truly looking for drive-by trip with a couple of quick photo stops, then I also suggest just visiting Grand Canyon and Sedona on this trip, with a stop at the Hoover Dam on the way to GC.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

Time in the car:

Las Vegas-Grand Canyon: 5 hours

Grand Canyon-Page: 3 hours

Page-Monument valley: 2.5 hours

Monument Valley-Sedona: 4 hours.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
541 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

Trust the experts on this one...the distances are vast!! We did that road trip 2 years ago and took 8-9 nights to accomplish the distances. Stay longer in fewer places and enjoy the beautiful scenery in Sedona and GCNP.

Adirondack Mountains
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

Thanks everyone…. I am again rethinking this itinerary thanks to your helpful input. Can I ask why you recommend more nights in Sedona than GCNP? Is it a larger area or is it because it will be warmer?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

There's more to see and do at Sedona. You'll understand when you get there

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

There is far more to see and do in Sedona over GC especially if you find cold temperatures during your visit.

I'd skip Page and Monument Valley on this trip and include Wupatki and Sunset Crater between GC and Sedona. You'll also have plenty to see and do in and around Sedona without all the driving time.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AZ Road Trip from Vegas- GCNP, Page, Monument Valley, Sedona

If you skip Hoover Dam you can drive between Las Vegas and Page in app 5 hours. Ok, less=more but driving Las Vegas-Phoenix via Page this way has been done before.