We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two found dead on Wave Hike

New York
Level Contributor
905 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
two found dead on Wave Hike

Very sad to hear...never can underestimate the heat and how your body may respond. Very tragic. condolences go out to family and friends. might sound off base but I hope at least the got to see it.

remember, if you arent thirsty in this heat you are already dehydrated and potentially in trouble

…yahoo.com/couple-dies-route-popular-rock-fo…

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,641 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
575 Reviews
from $276.99*
$299.00
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,130 Reviews
from $142.99*
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

I also posted this on the Utah forum. Sad story.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

For some reason my post on the Utah forum was closed. Prob this will happen to this post as well. I don't know why TA has removed the post for being inappropriate. There have been similar posts on the California forum for Death Valley. My post had the same link in it as yours.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
California
California
United States
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,908 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

Very sad and testament to the warnings and advice often given here in these forums about the importance of being aware of the environment and your body systems

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

Really tragic ... and there was also the death on South Kaibab last week. Petiole need to be aware that not only is it paramount to drink enough AS WELL AS get enough electrolytes ('salts') into you to replenish what you use with perspiration, but that there is a point beyond which no amount of tepid drink you may pour into yourself, and no generous amount of salt and electrolytes will keep you well, simple because due to external heat the core temperature inside your body will rise to a level where the body can't cope any longer. Basically you 'overheat' and the only thing that will save you is getting into a cooled down environment - or your whole body 'malfunctions' and then closes down, and you die ... it's the opposite of freezing to death. So you don't go hiking for hours in an absolute heat wave where the ground temperature with the heat baking off the rocks on the ground is much higher than the air temperature - which would be bad enough.

Mentioned in this post
Kaibab Lodge
Kaibab Lodge
352 Reviews
Jacob Lake, AZ
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

BTW Tet, I really can't see either why such a post should be closed! Visitors to the West - especially those from totally different climate zones, need to be aware of the dangers and what they might be facing here. This can be a life or death issue - as it clearly was here. And these folks were even from CA - no strangers to heat.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

I'm still flabbergasted Esty. It's totally gone now. I only had one handful of post removed in 8 year TA.

New York
Level Contributor
905 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

I wonder why they would do that? Posts like this are so important. I am hiking the wave in a little over a month, and being a young in shape person, I am now going to be even more vigilant with hydration for this hike. No one is invincible.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

esty makes a good point. The "official" temperature is taken five feet above the ground. The rocks you stand on can be 30-40-50 degrees higher. You can be standing on 160F as you hike in the blazing sun. Also to be considered is the fact that if you are hiking around the rocks, such as in Page, Sedona and many of the parks of the southwest, the heat coming off those rocks just next to your head is hot enough to bake a beef roast. Extreme care should be taken when in the summer sun here. You can be dying almost before you know you have a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

Tet14, I was surprised as well, there should have been no reason to delete your post on Utah Forum. Sometimes I wonder if TA even looks or if they just delete because someone questioned it. (and why someone would question it is another question).

I feel awful for this unlucky couple who took the hike of a lifetime and suffered because of it. Were they in over their heads without understanding the heat? It is very sad.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,499 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: two found dead on Wave Hike

Thoughts and prayers to the families very sad.