We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

This is my husband and I's first trip to Arizona. Travelling from Ontario, Canada. We are spending 10 days, flying into Vegas spending a night or 2 there, then have rented a car and are heading towards Sedona to spend a couple of nights and then thinking we may head to Scottsdale or Phoenix to get a sense of this area. Then heading back to Vegas to fly out.

We did briefly see the Grand Canyon during our last visit to Vegas (took a helicoptor trip to the Glass Skywalk Bridge - very beautiful!!). During this trip we are looking to see more of Arizona from the ground and take in as many sights of this beautiful area as possible, looking to do some hiking, experience the flavour of the area, do some photography and perhaps enjoy some local entertainment along the way. Open to suggestions as to areas we should try to hit, any recommended hiking trails or travel routes we should include. Thank you for any assistance anyone has to offer.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,814 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

If you've only been to the sky walk, you haven't really seen the Grand Canyon. And if you're coming in the next 4 months, you'll want to skip or minimize your time for Phoenix and Scottsdale.

I suggest that you book 1-2 nights at the Grand Canyon national park at the south rim. www.grandcanyonlodges.com If there are no rooms available for your dates, search for accommodations in Tusayan. Then proceed to Sedona and give it at least 3 nights. The other very popular destination in summer in northern AZ is at Page.

www.visitpageaz.com

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
203 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

Several days at Grand Canyon is a must. The drive from Vegas to Grand Canyon is sort of desolate Many people stop at Hoover Dam . Might drive a few miles on old route66. South of Sedona is Montezumas castle which is interesting. I would spend more time at Sedona and the canyon than Phoenix . You may just want to fly back from Phoenix rather than spend a day driving. A good but expensive place to stay in Phoenix is the JW Marriott at Desert Ridge. It is near Scottsdale

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
810 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

My mind said right away 'if you've flown to the Skywalk, you haven't seen the 'real' Grand Canyon - then i saw that RR told you that already. But yes, do go to the south rim and spend at least a night there, in-park lodge or Tusayan.

Maybe stop at Seligman on the way, west of Williams just off I-40.

If you'rte trip is in the summer, I'd not plan too much time for The Valley.

If you do go to Scottsdale, take a trip out beyond Apache Junction to Lost Dutchman's SP and see the Superstitions - maybe a quick look at erstwhile boomtown now tourist attraction Goldfield, and on down the Apache trail (hwy 88) to Tortilla Flat.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

Thank you for the information RedRox. Based on feedback we may plan to take in more of the Grand Canyon and will spend about 3 days in the Sedona area. We are travelling in October. As we research the area, we are thinking we may shorten our stay in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area and perhaps head up towards Page as I would really like to see Zion National Park as well before heading back to Vegas. Thank you for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Amanda

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

Thank you Esty666 for the information about what to do in Scottsdale as frankly, we have no idea what to take in, in that area. Also, appreciate you confirming we should spend some additional time at GC. As it will be October when we are travelling, trusting the weather will be good for a variety of activities.

Thanks again, Amanda.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

Thank you catbird40319 for the info. Will check out your suggestions.

Amanda

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
810 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

October is an ideal month to visit. Be aware that at the GC the nights will be really chilly, as you'll be at over 7000 ft

If you fly into and out of Vegas you could might want to consider Zion - Bryce - Page - GC - Sedona (Scottsdale) - Vegas. Personally I would stick to the NPs and drop Scottsdale - not that there isn't much to see and do in the area, but you don't have all that much time. Basically the weather should be perfect in Oct - but cool to cold nights at high elevation, as mentioned.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,814 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

October is a busy month in northern AZ. Book your accommodations now. Don't be surprised to find lodging at the GCNP sold out.

9. Re: Must see stops - Travelling Vegas to Sedona and Scottsdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 15, 2014