We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying with a duffle bag

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
flying with a duffle bag

I will soon be flying out of Sky Harbor on Delta to Bozeman. My duffle bag (soft-sided, squishy) is larger than 62". Never crossed my mind when I bought it for this trip that it might be "oversize" baggage.

I am wondering how closely they monitor dimensions of duffle bags. It won't even come close to 50 lbs. (all clothing inside), and maybe if not packed fully it won't look like it is oversize.

The fees for oversize, one way, are $50, and I am flying to Jackson Hole after my time in Yellowstone. Ouch! Any suggestions?

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,705 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 45-Minute Helicopter...
637 Reviews
from $276.99*
$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,208 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,097 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying with a duffle bag

If the flight is full, and you should expect it to be, then you might be asked to gate check your duffle. I'm not sure if they charge you on the spot or not. Be prepared.

Also expect to have other passengers be annoyed at you for bringing an over sized bag that takes up 'their' space in the overhead storage bin. It's just a consequence of the system that forces travelers to pay so much extra for baggage.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying with a duffle bag

Why not just buy or borrow another bag to use for the trip, and then you won't have to worry about it! I have one I'll loan you (we actually live in Mesa now!)

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying with a duffle bag

The duffle will be my checked bag. My carry-on contains my binoculars, spotting scope, cameras, thermos bottle--the breakables and electronics.

I am trying to travel with one checked bag. The carry-on and my personal item (small tripod) will be enough to handle. I don't want to lug around two bags as well. (I'm feeling too old for all this, plus I am still in PT for a shoulder surgery I had done)

The duffle, packed, will weigh less than my other bag will weigh packed with the same clothing, and the duffle will hold more. I just wonder how closely they size up these bags when you check in.

Maybe I should drive over to the airport and just ask them???

Thanks for the offer of another bag!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,097 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying with a duffle bag

Now that is a generous and typically friendly TA offer!

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying with a duffle bag

OK, so now I am considering compressing the duffle to keep it within the 62".

My first thought was to use bungee cords, but they would expand. Anybody have any ideas of what to use?

6. Re: flying with a duffle bag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 22, 2010