We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parashant-Grand Canyon National Monument

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
172 posts
Parashant-Grand Canyon National Monument

Hi,

I'm starting to plan a camping trip for next May to southern Utah and possibly the Arizona Strip. The Parashant-Grand Canyon National Monument looks intriguing because of its remoteness and backways. We like obscure places.

There's not a ton on information out there on the feasibility of driving these roads other than that you're on your own. There are some interesting features like the Mount Trumbull school house to visit.

In particular, I'm wondering about the last section to the Whitmore Canyon Overlook that overlooks the Colorado River. Is it very rough? I'm looking at a map that says its four-wheel drive with high-clearance. But just how rough I don't know.

We are experienced campers and back road drivers. This year we drove the back roads of Death Valley with no problems.

Thanks for your help.

Jerome, AZ
Level Contributor
799 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Parashant-Grand Canyon National Monument

should be dry enough in May to do that one.

That stretch is def high clearance, but you will see mostly pickups out there.

take extra gasoline, and water. there are NO services, and the ranchers are pretty sick of bailing out travelers.

the campground out there is pretty sweet, recommend it, even though i never stay in them. Toroweap is required, if you get anywhere close to it.

Would actually recommend the section of NF next to the GC, the Kanab Creek/Snake Gulch area including Jumpup Point. a little more diverse scenery, and a little higher altitude.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
172 posts
2. Re: Parashant-Grand Canyon National Monument

Thanks.

I had to hunt around on the Forest Service website to find the location, but eventually I had success. I need to get a better map, I think.

3. Re: Parashant-Grand Canyon National Monument

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, December 05, 2009