We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Scottsdale

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Scottsdale

I will be arriving in Scottsdale next week and I am looking for day trips from Scottsdale, I've been to Sedona and back in one day and enjoyed it, might do it again. What else is within a 2 or 3 hours max driving from Scottsdale that is worthy of a trip? Is Tucson or Tombstone worth it/ What about Yuma? Also Jerome or Red Rock Country or Oak Creek Canyon, can anyone recommend two spots?

Thanks

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

Tucson and Sedona/Red Rock Country are both definitely worth for at least a day trip, if not an overnight. Yuma is probably not since there's very little to do there.

Tombstone is good but it's too far. It takes almost 2 hours from Tucson, so it would be close to 4 from Phoenix. Not really a feasible day trip. You could do a trip down there and stay there or in Bisbee for the night.

Otherwise, you have the Supersitions to the east. You can take Apache Trail until its end at Lake Roosevelt, or US 60 over the mountains to Globe.

You could also head to "Rim Country" which is where it gets a lot more mountainous. Payson is the start but is still below the rim. Pine/Strawberry would be a good end point though, I think.

hth

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

Thanks Colinaz!! Anyone else with some recommendations?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

There are a couple of other options, depending on how far you're willing to drive.

Going south, is Kartchner Caverns, near Sierra Vista - these caverns were discovered in the early 70's, and only recently (last 5-10 years or so) were purchased by State of AZ and made into a tourist attraction. It truly is a spectacular site, especially the Bat Cave (although a portion of the caverns are closed during bat migration time - not exactly sure when that is). Do a google search, or go to Arizona Department of Tourism for more information.

Payson and Pinetop are nice little excursions. I believe they are less than two hours to two and a half hours from Phoenix, located in the mountains. Very pretty, very rustic.

Also, Cave Creek is just a little north of Phoenix, and it has a lot of nice restaurants, bars, shops, and galleries. The Horny Toad and the Satisfied Frog are two fun restaurants.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Monroe, MI
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

GROntario:

I'm interested in learning more about day trips from Scottsdale to Sedona. Did you go with a tour company or on your own? Can you suggest some places in Sedona that you enjoyed? How far is Sedona from Scottsdale?

pjtrev@sbcglobal.net

Monroe, MI
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

GROntario:

I am interested in taking a day trip from Scottsdale to Sedona. Did you go with a tour group? If so, would you recommend the same group? How far is Sedona from Scottsdale? Can you recommend areas of Sedona you would visit again? Thank you!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

Day trips from Scottsdale to Sedona are very easy. I would recommend renting a car. It's a simple 1 1/2 drive up I17 North. Then hit HWY 179, west I believe, for about 1/2 hour drive to get to Sedona.

I lived in Sedona for several years (although this was about 15 years ago), but I still like to visit the area. Some of my favorite places, and sites:

For lunch, the Hideaway - it's on HWY 179, near the junction of 179/ and 89A. There is a deck in the back that's surrounded by trees with a little stream flowing down below. The changing colors of the trees would be spectacular this time of year. If it's a Sunday, I would recommend lunch at Rene's in Tlaquepaque (which is a quaint southwestern style plaza). Tlaquepaque is worth a walk-through regardless.

It's definitely worthwhile to do a jeep tour. There are several companies. Pink Jeep Tour has a nice Broken Arrow tour which takes you up into the Red Rock. Kinda of a rugged ride, so might be hard if you have a bad back. The other tour is the Ancient Ruins. This is a real interesting tour of the Ancient Indian Cliff Dwellings from 100s of years ago.

You also might want to take an airplane or helicopter tour of the canyons. Just go to the airport, on airport mesa, and the companies there will arrange everything for you. Best to do this early in the morning, as it gets windy & turbulent later in the day.

For sunset & cocktails, I would recommend the bar at the Enchantment Resort (if you have the $$$ and time - I'd recommend an evening here - it's truly spectacular). This bar has an outside veranda where you have Boynton Canyon (an ancient Indian Holy Land) surrounding you.

For a more affordable night's stay (if you decide to spend the night), I would recommend Sky Ranch Lodge. It's located on Airport Mesa, and it provides beautiful views, and it's very rustic and reasonably priced.

Hope this Helps. Sedona truly is a wonderful experience.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

Another site I remembered in Sedona is the Chapel of the Holy Cross. You'll see it as you drive into Sedona on HWY 179. It was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and it is an amazing structure. It's built right into the Red Rocks.

Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

You could come up to the Prescott area, it is beautiful here. Downtown Prescott with the courthouse is a great place to visit, lots of great shops and wonderful resturants for lunch, Murphy's, Gurley St. Grill, Prescott Brewing Company, to name a few.Then you could actually head out 89A up over Mingus mountain through Jerome, as Jerome is someplace you should see, a little former ghost town settled in the mountain with breathtaking views of "Red Rock country", then back down and hop on I-17 back to Scottsdale! A great loop for a day trip!!

9. Re: Day trips from Scottsdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 13, 2009