We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?

My wife and I (both retired) are planning a one year visit to Sedona and will rent a house for that year. We will not be working there. Our address (domicile) will remain in Pennsylvania. I've read that an Arizona resident is defined as (among other factors) "anyone living in Arizona for more than seven calendar months of a year".

Does this mean I will have to apply for an AZ driver license (and register our car in AZ) if we live there Jan - Dec?

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,651 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
582 Reviews
from $276.99*
$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,141 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
6 replies to this topic
Arizona
Level Contributor
714 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?

You seem to have answered your own question. Here is the complete definition provided by the AZ Department of Transportation:

"Resident Definition

State law requires that you obtain an Arizona vehicle registration and driver license, immediately if any of the following apply:

You work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work).

You are registered to vote in Arizona.

You place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident.

You have a business with an office in Arizona that bases and operates vehicles in this state.

You obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.

You have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona.

You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

Out-of-state students enrolled with seven or more semester hours, are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment.

Active duty military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003 are not considered Arizona residents."

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?

Thanks, but still confused about the purpose of the rule. I could move in June 2 of a calendar year, leave May 31 of the following year and not have to make those changes. But if I move in May 31 and leave May 31 the next year I'm supposed to do so.

I understand paying my fair share for road usage, upkeep, etc. but that rule encourages such calendar games. There's no way I would switch everything to AZ and then have to switch it back to PA in a few months. I wonder why they would not simply assess long-term vacationers a flat fee for a temporary residency permit, or something akin to that.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,383 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?

You’re assuming that government regulations are based on logic. Wrong!

When we came to AZ, I had barely been here for 2 months when I received notice that I had to re register my vehicles. And since the fee is based on vehicle value, they were licking their chops and anxious to tax my two new Lincoln Navigators.

If you do maintain your primary residence in PA, be prepared to prove it with current tax records and title.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
Nebraska
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?

You should read the post #1 again. Not a year as in your example, 7 months.

"You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence."

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?

You can't argue with bureaucracy! If you live here seven months I guess you have to pay up. We can't change that law for you.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?

You can't argue with bureaucracy! If you live here seven months I guess you have to pay up. We can't change that law for you.

Reply to: Vacation in AZ for a Year - Will I Need AZ Driver License?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;