We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 1 week in PHX / Grand Canyon / Sedona area (w/ 2 kids)

Orlando, Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! 1 week in PHX / Grand Canyon / Sedona area (w/ 2 kids)

HELP!! - My family of 6 (my wife, me, my parents - in their 70s, 2 young kids - 3 and 6) are planning a week in PHX area. We land Sat 3/17 around noon, and fly back on Sun 3/25 also around noon.

i'm thinking to cover Pheonix, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Sedona... and maybe Antelope Canyon/Page, Painted Desert and Petrified Forest...if it makes sense with time? I'm open to cutting things out if this is too much

Would GREATLY appreciate help on crafting a good itinerary...Given the 2 young kids and my older parents I don't expect to do alot of heavy duty hiking.

Thanks in advance!

-Nash

5 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,170 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! 1 week in PHX / Grand Canyon / Sedona area (w/ 2 kids)

That’s not a week in Phoenix, it’s a week in northern Arizona with no time for Phoenix. What is your priority?

Consider 3 nights at Sedona, 1-2 at Grand Canyon National Park and 1-2 at Page. Adding PFNP means a lot more driving. What do you think you want to see or do at Flagstaff?

Hotel reservations are critical and you’re late in planning. Where you go could be determined by the availability of lodging at your destinations.

Orlando, Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! 1 week in PHX / Grand Canyon / Sedona area (w/ 2 kids)

My initial thought: Land in Pheonix on Saturday at noon, grab a bite and then head to Flagstaff for the rest of the day (observatory..etc). This would cut the drive to GCNP (and make it more bearable with 2 young kids).

Then, get to GCNP by noon on Sunday.... Spend all day Monday there...and leave Tuesday morning for the next destination.

Logistically, 'm not sure what the next destination should be....Page and then Sedona? If so, how many days/nights at each if we won't do alot of hiking?

Do you highly recommend Page?...or would we be better served to focus on Sedona and Pheonix for the remaining trip following GCNP?

Sounds like we should skip PFNP....dont want alof of extra driving if its not worth it.

Following Sedona/Page, perhaps we can save a day or 2 for Pheonix (I have yet to look into specific things to do there).

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! 1 week in PHX / Grand Canyon / Sedona area (w/ 2 kids)

Speaking of "bearable" with kids consider the following:

Concentrate on Sedona, Williams, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon South Rim:

Sedona; do easy "walking trails" around Bell Rock and Red Rock / Crescent Moon Day Use Park, shopping and nice restaurants

Williams: Bearizona

Flagstaff: Museum of Northern Arizona (small dinosaurs and nice walking trail); Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments

Grand Canyon National Park: Stop at the Mather Point Visitor Center when you enter the park to see the schedule for the Junior Ranger program during your stay

Secure now GCNP lodging at a Rim Lodge so you and the kids can walk out of your lodging and be on the Rim!

Orlando, Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! 1 week in PHX / Grand Canyon / Sedona area (w/ 2 kids)

I managed to hold 2 bookings: Maswik Lodge (North) and Yavapai Lodge.

Maswik looks closer than Yavapai, but hard to tell if it's much of a difference.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! 1 week in PHX / Grand Canyon / Sedona area (w/ 2 kids)

Maswik Lodge is walkable to the Rim. Keep checking back as cancellations do occur for a Rim Lodge.

Reply to: Help! 1 week in PHX / Grand Canyon / Sedona area (w/ 2 kids)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted