We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goose Creek Tower

Winder, Georgia
Level Contributor
384 posts
13 reviews
5 helpful votes
Goose Creek Tower

Where is the Goose Creek Tower visible from the Parks Hwy? Is it driving north or south? I've looked at Google Earth, but have not spotted it.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
233 posts
100 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Goose Creek Tower

From Alaska.org:

So how can you see this mystery yourself? It’s possible to view it from the Parks Highway as well as from the train between Anchorage to Denali, though only at some distance. The best option is to check it out from the air. So if you do a flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna, ask your pilot to do a flyover of the famous Dr. Seuss house!

http://www.alaska.org/detail/dr-seuss-house

I've never seen it from the highway, but I was never looking either.

Winder, Georgia
Level Contributor
384 posts
13 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Goose Creek Tower

I, too saw that information. A TV station had a video of a quick view while driving on the Parks, but did not tell the exact location. My husband is along on this trip, so no flightseeing. Just wanted to see if we could spot this. Thanks for the help.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,904 posts
35 reviews
97 helpful votes
3. Re: Goose Creek Tower

It is actually between Anchorage and Talkeetna if on the train. The rail commentators point it out but you don't get to stop on the train, just take photos from the moving train.

New York
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
55 reviews
53 helpful votes
4. Re: Goose Creek Tower

Fti- is accurate. I was on the train in 2014 and indeed was pointed out, with a few minutes of "warning", by the train narrator. . My priority was a look with binoculars, where I had maybe 30 seconds of view. I was out in the vestibule for an unobstructed look. The details via binoculars was excellent. I knew not to waste my time, trying to photographic it for what I wanted to see. :)

Good question, what milepost on the Parks would give a look?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,999 posts
242 reviews
151 helpful votes
5. Re: Goose Creek Tower

I'm on that part of the Parks frequently and will start looking for it.

Now remembering to do that past trend of this post is a whole another story!!!

Winder, Georgia
Level Contributor
384 posts
13 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Goose Creek Tower

I appreciate any help. If not, I'll look & post after our trip at the end of next month.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Goose Creek Tower

Maybe someone can recognize the stretch shown in this KTVA video: ktva.com/weird-alaska-houses-part-3-dr-seuss… I've never noticed it before but as others have said, I wasn't looking for it.

Alaska
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
23 reviews
20 helpful votes
8. Re: Goose Creek Tower

Thanks for the video navraq! My fear of heights made me queasy at the end, but this was very interesting. Phil Weidner is quite a character. I've been hearing more and more about this tower, never noticed it from the highway and the best was hearing Mr. Weidner talk about his property. Deb

Blue Ridge, Georgia
Level Contributor
139 posts
9. Re: Goose Creek Tower

WOW! Thanks for sharing the video. An interesting tidbit about Alaska that I would have missed for sure were it not for this forum. I would have to push through queasy for that view! (just give me something to hold on to!)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,904 posts
35 reviews
97 helpful votes
10. Re: Goose Creek Tower

The new bridge over the railroad track at mile 91.5 gives you a fleeting look when traveling southbound. It is on the west side of the road. It wasnt visible from the Parks Highway until this bridge recently opened. Views from the train are definitely better.

Edited: 4:10 am, August 01, 2016