We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disembarking from a cruise ship

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
disembarking from a cruise ship

We are going on the Explorer of the the Seas, Alaskan inside passage in June.

Can anyone please tell me approx how long does it take to disembark from the ship?. I know it depends on the size of the ship etc, but Im just trying to work out the best time to book a tour when we dock.

thankyou.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,744 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: disembarking from a cruise ship

In Juneau you are scheduled to dock at noon, so I would think disembarking between 12:30 and 1:00 would be about average. For Skagway the itinerary lists docking at 7:00, but she is only sailing from Juneau so will most probably dock before then, not that you may disembark any earlier. For Victoria I would suggest allow .5 to 1 hour.

The best thing to do is advise the tour operator which ship you are on as most would know the reasonable time frames anyway.

As a mater of interest, what led you to cruise on Explorer?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disembarking from a cruise ship

Hi Frommy,

thankyou for that information. We saw a tripadeal which appeared to be reasonable. We are going with friends who were keen also. Hoping it is all OK ???

Would welcome any other advise/tips you may have regarding the ship or tour.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,744 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disembarking from a cruise ship

What date is your sailing?

A bit off research, or a few questions here, could have seen you book a cruise with a better itinerary. I do not like that itinerary of Explorer at all, being a Seattle round trip and only docking in two Alaska ports, compared to other lines.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disembarking from a cruise ship

I saw that tripadeal offer - fantastic! I hope you have a fantastic time and post a trip review. June is a good time to go too! Some offered early May and October which are not ideal.

As Frommy says all the operators know the ships arrivals and will meet you at the docks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: disembarking from a cruise ship

thankyou, I will post a trip review. This trip evolved after a dinner with friends and a couple of bottles of 'red'. LOL. It wasnt really planned. So did not ever do any other research for cruises in that area. Hoping it will be a fun time and its just a taste of Alaska and Canada.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disembarking from a cruise ship

thanks Frommy. I know its a long way to go for not very long.This was an opportune holiday with the holiday leave we could take, and evolved over dinner with friends and a few Reds. We really didnt research, but now have the opportunity to ask some questions on Trip advisor (which is awesome) and can plan to get the max out of it. We are doing a helicopter tour and glacier walk on the glacier in Juneau, and a kayak wilderness tour in Skagway. Sailing June 10

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: disembarking from a cruise ship

...we have sailed this itinerary before with RC and will be doing it again on the 10th. If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them if I am able...

8. Re: disembarking from a cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 11, 2017