We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

All, trying to plan a trip from Seattle to inside passage july 18. My plan is to fly to ketchikan with a day trip to Anan ( seeing bears fish salmon a must on this trip). Then catch flight to Juneau with a day trip to Tracy Arm ( seeing glAciers a must).

My original plan was to fly into Juneau and then ferry to skagway ( with day trip to chilkoot for bears) but was told seeing bears fish salmon in mid july is less than 50 percent).

Thanks

Israel
Level Contributor
267 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

Consider to go to Anan fron Wrangell instead of Ketchikan, You would need to fly from Ketchikan to Anan. This will cost more and give you less time with the bears compared to taking one of the boat tours from Wrangell. Also an air-based trip has a higher risk of cancellation due to weather.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

Great, thanks. Do you have a boat trip recommnedation? Are bears fishing slamon mid july a sure thing there in Mid july?

Israel
Level Contributor
267 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

Can't recommend from experience but here are a few which usually get good reviews:

http://www.alaskavistas.com/anan-bears.html

http://www.breakawayadventures.com/anan.htm

http://www.alaskawaters.com/#!anan-bears/c20ez

From what I read, the chances to see the bears (mostly black) fishing there in mid-July is very high, though there is never a guarantee.

Edited: 1:31 pm, March 15, 2015
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

I suggest you contact the vendors and start by asking them when is the best time to come to have a good experience watching the bears feeding for salmon. Tell them you are flexible and want to know the best time to help ensure an optimal experience. Do not start by saying I am coming on "this date" and then asking them if this is a good time.

When we went to Ketchikan in early August of 2011 that should have been a great time in Ketchikan to view the salmon at the local fishing ladder. However, there were few salmon to be seen. We were told that for some reason the salmon were running several weeks late.

Have you considered flying into Gustavus and taking a National Park Boat tour into Glacier Bay? Tracy Arm is also awesome, but if you had time for both, it would be an amazing trip for sure.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

Thank you. Does anyone know of a better itinerary for seeing bears fishing for salmon and glaciers? I hate to spend several hundred dollars for our family to fly from Ketchikan to Juneau, but do not see a better alternative.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

Have you browsed this thread that is found in the section "Top Questions about Alaska"?

tripadvisor.com/…30691705

You can see bears fishing for Salmon in Pack Creek. However, if you are looking for fish flying in the air and the bears catching them, that is not what you will see here. At Pack Creek the bears are feeding in a shallow stream. It is a different experience, but one we enjoyed. However, I did book this excursion knowing that we may or may not see bear fishing for salmon. I decided I would look at it as a costly but beautiful plane ride. I don't think anyone can guarantee you that you will get what you hope for. Unfortunately it is an expensive investment that may or may not give you the result you want.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

Thanks happytraveller! I was thinking of doing Pack Creek too. That one is more like 600 pp, versus the trip from Ketchikan that I have seen to Anan for much less.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

You can save money by hiring your own charter flight who drops you off and picks you up . However, you would need to secure your own permit doing it this way. As I understand it, there are two different viewing areas at Pack Creek. We were in the area where you have a log bench to sit on. I have also read there is platform viewing, but that has to be a different tour as there was no platform where we were. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Edited: 4:55 pm, March 16, 2015
9. Re: Inside passage, 1 week trip mid July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 17, 2016