We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

I'm turning 30 and since all my friends are now married and with kids I thought I might treat myself to an authentic Alaskan experience (combined with a little work), which has been a dream of mine for a long time. I am hoping you can give me an advice on where to go in July?

This is what I imagine:

- fairly safe place for solo traveller

- relaxing tranquil environment, friendly people in the area

- naturistic setting

- small town (?) with a bar w. food to meet locals

- wildlife encounters -would like to experience seeing whales, eagles, racoons, wolfs etc. but over-the-top exhausting activities like hiking for days or climbing mountains might be too demanding. (Went dogsleighing in Colorado a few years back and fell absolutely in love with the expeirence, and have experienced dolphins in the wild which was also amazing).

I am not into cruices, discos, big hotels etc. Small Group tours are okay, but would actually much rather go fishing with a group of local fishermen or meet your best photographer and have a look at his preferred picturesque spot -just to give you a better idea of where I'm coming from and looking for.

My work porfession is related to journalism and creative writing so I would abosolutely love to meet men/women who has an interesting profession and wouldn't mind introducing me to that life in Alaska.

Any suggestions much appreciated :)

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

My firt thoughts go to Homer and Cordova with both on the coast and offering you some of what you are looking for. Seward is magnificent as well but doesn't have the Homer self image of "end of the road artist colony"; Cordova is a friendly village off the main tourist run and without the crowds and with a lot of what you mention. Seward is a third candidate on the coast with fishing and tourism and nature and then perhaps known for artists...

Getting away from the sea you might look into McCarthy and finally Talkeetna, the first off the main tourist line and a mellow community by long time reputation. Talkeetna is... like Homer caught up in its own image.

Those are the locations I suggest you investigate for best fit. South east Alaska will need someone else to present its best.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

How much time do you have for this trip? Are you looking to stay in one spot the whole time, or would you be open to moving around some? Willing to rent a car?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,610 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

Do share some more details . . . especially how long you have and how you are getting around. I would consider Homer, Seward and Denali IF you have the time. I have a good friend that is a journalist here in the Denali area - you would enjoy meeting her and maybe make some connections with other folks.

No raccoons in Alaska that I am aware of. :)

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
869 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

Montel, you could explore with the ferry (Alaska Marine Highway System). Finding hosts with Couchsurfing often connects you with people with similar interests. I also think Haines would fit your needs.

PS PLease help us by defining what you mean by ''authentic''

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

@71: Thank you for your kind reply. I will make some more research on those places for sure.

How would you recommend getting aound as a female solo traveller? Is driving safe? I hear some people take small "water planes" to get from one place to another.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

@AK no more than two weeks.. It looks like prices are pretty high this time around, so rather go back another time off season to see the Aurora B. for instance

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

Thank you for all your ideas everyone, I really do appreciate!

I would be willing to move around a bit (camp or rent a car, take a plane), but not too too much. I'd rather spend time doing 4-5 interviews and have time to write/follow-up a bit and to experience wildlife/nature instead of driving too much aorund. I would also like to go to a local log cabin bar of some sort.. we don't really have that here in Denmark. I would like to focus maybe on 2 main areas and soak up some experiences there if possible.

In terms of "the authentic experiences"... it’s really hard to know what they might be since I've not been to Alaska before. The project I'm currently working on is related to what it means to be a modern lady and a true (gentle)man of today, and Alaska seems like a good place to start this journey and I am planning to do at least 4 interviews with men and a few with women/a group of girlfriends as well. I am hoping an "authentic experience" for an interview could be e.g. someone (preferably single male 25-40) who owns -let's say- a dogsled company, and who wouldn't mind showing me this kind of lifestyle, how he would behave on a "date"/in a relationship, and tell me a bit about what it means to be a (gentle)man in Alaska. It could also be a local singer-songwriter showing off his talent, salmon fishing with a local fisherman, or Alaska's best wildlife photographer presenting us his favorite place - you name it! I'm simply looking for genuine, interesting men with good stories and willingness to share a bit of their time and thoughts.

@ coalminer: Sounds great with this female journalist. I’d love to hear more : )

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,610 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

If you have a smaller budget, you will probably want to avoid flights to the bush and stay within the road system or the marine hwy/ferry system to be more cost effective. :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,325 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

Since-71 gave you some great ideas.

Renting a car and traveling on your own is as perfectly safe here as anywhere (based on you being smart/aware/conscious ).

Sitka, Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Female solo traveller and writer looking for the authentic..

You should check out beautiful Sitka by the Sea! There are direct flights to Sitka from Seattle.

It's a fishing town with some of the most amazing mountain views in all of Alaska.