We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Vacation Package

Pensacola, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Rail Vacation Package

Has anyone taken the Alaska By Daylight tour? I've never been to Alaska and was thinking a cruise on mid-size ship would be the way to go, then I started reading about the Alaskan Railroad and their trips. Any advice

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail Vacation Package

How much time do you have for your trip? Would you be open to renting a car and putting together your own custom trip based on what you want to see?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,187 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail Vacation Package

While I love traveling by train, it works better for some locations than others. For example, taking the train to Seward works well, because you can get around Seward without a car and not be limited. In Denali Park, it is rather limiting in many ways to not have a car . . . so I would not take a train to Denali. :)

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail Vacation Package

You could do both ship and train.... take a cruise north or south. You'd either start or end in Seward ( Holland America, Celebrity, Regent) or Whittier ( Princess, Norwegian) and the other end of the 7 day cruises is Vancouver.

You can easily take the train to Seward/Whittier... and beyond. If you book a package deal by train then you are stuck with what they have... lodging, excursion etc I'd look past what they offer and find what you like and just use the train as transportation.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail Vacation Package

Read some "Trip Reports" (see top right of screen) and think about what you'd most like to see, how much time (and budget) you have available. Alaska can accommodate most every whim.

Keep an open mind & ask lots of questions.

Welcome to TA-AK,

Scott

5. Re: Rail Vacation Package

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 08, 2015