We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car trip from banff to alaska

Banff National...
1 post
Save Topic
car trip from banff to alaska

hey guys, i am planning to do a car trip from banff to alaska. What i am looking for is a good way to do it. my only real plan is to do it by car ,so i dont need overnight stays in towns. i am willing to sleep in the car or on campgrounds. furthermore i want to do it on low budget. now what i am hoping to find here is some advices how to do it and where to go. i am intrestet in wildlife and landscape i dont need to see so much culture and really need towns only for food etc. . what is a good route and i am just open to anysuggestion specially from people who did something like this before and have their own expirience.

regards

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
775 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car trip from banff to alaska

It's either the Alaska Highway all the way or the Cassiar part of the way

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,147 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car trip from banff to alaska

It's a great drive I've done 3 times. As mentioned above, from Banff u only 2 choices. I prefer including the Cassier. Your willingness to "car camp" could make this relatively inexpensive.

Check out "the milepost". It's be a worthwhile investment for you trip. If you search online , there's a 2010 version as a PDF available.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car trip from banff to alaska

Icefields Parkway to Yellowhead Highway to Stewart-Cassiar Highway (37) at Hazelton to Alaska Highway a little west of Watson Lake YT.

Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car trip from banff to alaska

I am about to do a trip by car from Calgary to Alaska. The best research tool is The Milepost, as sdpryde states. It gives you all the routes, has a great map included in the hard copy version and is full of great infomation, including all the campsites.

Which way to go really depends on where you want to end up to be honest. Large towns are far and few once you are in Alaska, and most often will be your only opportunity to buy gas and food, so plan your trip with that in mind.

Once you have a more specific plan as to where you want to go you will be able to get more specific questions answered on the forums.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,534 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car trip from banff to alaska

If you are doing a loop type trip, I would try to include the Cassiar - would give you a good variety. And yes, the Milepost is pretty essential up north. :)

6. Re: car trip from banff to alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 10, 2014