We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PWS tour from Anchorage

California
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
PWS tour from Anchorage

If one is to take the Prince William sound tour from anchorage, which is the best tour? Major Marine Tour is the one that I came across.

We will take connections from Anchorage. Is the train or the motorcoach recommended? Is driving your own car advisable, if you have to make it to the start of the tour on time? There are tunnel closures and opening timings that one needs to keep in mind.

Please advise.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PWS tour from Anchorage

I recommend renting a car. There is a lot to see and do in that short drive to and from Whittier ..... pan for gold, stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center to see caribou, bear, bison, visit PortageLake, Potters Marsh, watch for dall sheep. Suggested stops are in this link

alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-s…

If you drive to Whittier you will go thru a tunnel, which is only open once a hr in each direction, so be very mindful of the time. …state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml

I'd save the train for a visit to Seward ... it's the most scenic route plus you don't need a car while in Seward.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PWS tour from Anchorage

There is also Phillips Cruises that operates in Whittier. The tour vendors do offer transportation packages from/to Anchorage if you are so inclined.

http://www.phillipscruises.com/experience.htm

Edited: 1:19 am, March 08, 2013
3. Re: PWS tour from Anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 10, 2014