We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just about everything Booked?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Just about everything Booked?

I have taken everyone's advise and planned our trip independently for our holiday from Australia to Alaska Aug-Sep.

It has been easy with a bit of planning and organising. Must say I am very grateful to everyone I have come in contact with in Alaska They all have been most helpful in replying to my email requests and help with bookings for rail, accomodation, cruises, flights etc..

Flight in to Anchorage Aug 31 = Booked.

All accommodation for 11 nights(Anchorage, Talkeetna, Fairbanks, Denali & Seward)= Booked.

Rail and motorcoach transfers = Booked.

Day cruises Whittier & Seward = Booked.

Mt.McKinley Flight = Booked.

Should I be booking the day trips we are looking at eg;( Denali Shuttle into park, Riverboat Cruise at Fairbanks, River Rafting, Dog Sled kennel tour) from now or wait till arrival or at least till later? It still seems a long way away. I do have the Toursaver book which I can use for Fairbanks river cruise and river rafting at Denali.

Also would have loved to visit Exit Glacier in Seward, utilising the Exit Glacier shuttle but it stops operating just a few days before we are in Seward. Are there any other option to get to the Glacier from town?

Also have not booked flight out of Anchorage Sept.12th. as still have not decided where to fly to next to spend 4 days before we head to DC and NYC. Too many places to choose from. Maybe leaning towards San Francisco at present.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just about everything Booked?

Since you have your train to & lodging at Denali booked, go ahead & reserve your shuttle buses, hopefully to Wonder Lake since the fall colors should be magnificent.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just about everything Booked?

In Seward you could contact PJs Taxi for a ride to Exit Glacier.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,818 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just about everything Booked?

Where to go????

"... Also have not booked flight out of Anchorage Sept.12th. as still have not decided where to fly to next to spend 4 days before we head to DC and NYC. Too many places to choose from. Maybe leaning towards San Francisco at present. ..."

I'd head somewhere there was a direct/non-stop flight to. Have you considered Chicago? Alaska Airlines has a direct/non-stop flight there.

Good luck,

Scott

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just about everything Booked?

Anything using Toursaver coupons should be booked as soon as your plans are firm. Many of those operations only accept a limited number of coupons per day or per season.

Definitely book the shuttle bus at Denali in advance. After American Labor Day (Sep 2), the shuttle bus schedule is reduced. You don't want to be waiting at the entrance for hours or days trying to get on a shuttle bus.

I too like the idea of Chicago after Alaska. I will be using the Chicago-Anchorage-Chicago non-stop flights myself for my September trip to Alaska, mostly to Denali NP. I like the idea of a 6 hour redeye flight that gives enough time to rest on the plane vs. the shorter 3+ hour flights from Anchorage to Seattle. But in all honesty, I would probably book more based on the price and the best "deal" if that city also interested me for a visit.

5. Re: Just about everything Booked?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 08, 2014