We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

Savanna, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

My husband and I (seniors) plan on traveling early to mid May 2013.

Will there still be a lot of snow by that time or is it beginning to get muddy? Wondering how many pairs of jeans and shoes to bring? Also are they very strict about suit and tie for formal nights in dining room? That kind of clothing takes up a lot of room. Thanks for any advise you can give me.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

There will be snow at higher elevations and if you drive to the Yukon in Skagway for example.

I prefer other pants than jeans in Alaska. They are heavy and bulky and if they get wet, they take forever to dry. I like the convertible pants that are fast-drying. How many pants and shoes you bring is really up to you. I usually take two pair of shoes to Alaska - hiking boots and tennis shoes. If I go on a cruise, then I take a pair of dress shoes too.

I am not sure about HAL, but most cruise lines have buffets or alternate dining rooms if you don't want to dress up. I took a cruise with Princess in June last year. I brought a tie but no suit jacket. I already was on a long land tour and didn't want to carry a jacket just for the cruise. That worked out fine and probably would with HAL too.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,781 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

As said by fti, formal dining is a bit relaxed on an Alaska cruise. Slacks, business shirt and tie with formal shoes would pass muster. I also took a light jacket. The Lido bistro is casual all the time.

I see that Westerdam sails from Seattle and calls at Sitka but drops Skagway. That is a bit different.

I highly recommend that you go to the Top Questions at top right of screen where you will find one giving lots of advice about Alaska cruises.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,360 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

Are you doing just the cruise or a land tour as well? :)

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,781 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

coalminer,

The Westerdam is on a round-trip from Seattle.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,360 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

Ah - you are so in the know Frommy! Thanks - glad you hang around the Alaska forum - when you coming back? :)

Savanna, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

Thanks for quick reply! I will certainly look into getting at least one pair of the convertible pants. We're planning to go on the Grizzly Meadows 4X4 adventure tour in Sitka which could be quite messy I would think. Maybe wear hiking boots (pain at the airport though) and carry tennis shoes and dress shoes.

Dress code says suit and tie on formal nights, but dress shirt, tie, and slacks were accepted on other trips (resorts, not cruises). Don't want to be embarrassed by being turned away, but we like to keep our luggage carry-on. Maybe we'll just do buffet or room service those nights.

Thanks to everyone else for their quick replies, too. Don't know why Westerdam dropped Skagway but ports of call are Juneau, Sitka, Ketichkan, and Victoria on round trip from Seattle. Unfortunately, only cruise, would love to do land, too. I will check out the FQA and reviews.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

I don't keep up on the itineraries of the cruise ships, so I just guessed Skagway without having any more info from you. But honestly, I would choose Sitka over Skagway almost any day. I have been to both on multi-day trips as well as to Skagway three times on a cruise ship. Sitka is much less touristy than Skagway. May I recommend a wildlife boat tour with Captain Jim of Sitka Sound Tours. You have to book it privately (not through the cruise ship). But it is a smaller much more personal tour than you will ever get from the ship's excursions.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,781 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

"dress shirt, tie, and slacks were accepted on other trips (resorts, not cruises)"

I can assure you that the above will also be acceptable on the cruise. We sailed again with HAL in June from Montreal to Boston and they were acceptable on that cruise as well as I had previously witnessed on our HAL Alaska cruise a few years ago..

9. Re: Alaska cruise mid May on HAL Westendam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 31, 2014