We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

We get a lot of requests from people saying "we are going to be in Alaska and can you help us?" In order to give you the best assistance, we need to know who "we" is and if it involves children, what are their ages.

We also get a lot of requests regarding the "best" excursions to do either on a land tour or on a cruise. What might be "best" to one person holds absolutely no interest to another. So please give us an idea of your interests. Hiking, wildlife viewing, photography, fishing, native history, glaciers, adventure activities like rafting or glacier hiking, museums, etc.

If you have specific dates or timeframe, mention that. Summer? Two weeks? This year or next? Are you willing to rent a car or do you want to rely totally on other forms of transportation?

If you already have flights booked, it would really help to know the date and time of arrival as well as the date and time of departure (and the city arriving into/out of if not clear from your post). If you leave at 9am the last day you might end up with a totally different itinerary than if you left at 11pm the same evening.

The more details you can give initially, the easier and quicker and more accurate the answers will be.

Thanks for helping us to help you!

Edited: 10:50 pm, January 11, 2013
Marseille
6 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Hello I plan a trip this summer (27/07/13 to 10/08/13).

The idea is : J1: Fairbanks, rent a car (because the driving time is lower from Fairbanks than from Anchorage and it's a chance to see Fairbanks) J2: To go to Denali Park, spent the night in a hotel near the park (Deanli bluff hotel?) J3: Denali park, night in the same hotel J4: Deanli park, night in the same hotel J5: To go to Anchorage, night in Anchorage J6: To go to Seward for a cruise, drop-off the car (I don't know if I can pick up the car in Fairbanks and drop-off in Seward?). J7-13: Cruise on the East of Alaska. We get to Vancouver. J8: Flight back to Marseille.

The problem is the price of the flight. Because of the multidestinations: Marseille/Fairbanks - Vancouver/Marseille. Do you know if there is a cruise roundtrip from Seward to Seward? I can't find it. If there is any, I could flight to Anchorage instead of Fairbanks.

Does the cruise worth it? (price, time..)

I chose this option in order to see a lot of different landscape (moutain, lake, river, forest, glacier...).

I'd like to see glacier: that's the reason why I chose a cruise.

I want to see counrtyside and wildlife, I like hiking. But I don't think I'll have enough time to hike.

I'd like to see the rainforest (Ketchikan). With the cruise, do we have enough time to go in the forest during the stopover?

Maybe if I leave on the 26th of July instead of 27th the price would be lower?

If you can hepl me, it would be really great.

Thank you for all your advice.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Hi Oceaneo! welcome to the forum,......more people will see your post if you start a new topic.......this topic is suggestions for first time posters and not one for asking questions......just click the "ask a question" button and start your own topic........

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
23. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

I will be traveling with another adult next year. We want to stop in Wrangell and see petroglyph beach. However, I am concerned that the petroglyphs may be under water if it is high tide. Is there any way that the tide can be predicted for next year? I realize that it may be a best guess but that it better than me taking my best guess, here in AZ.

24. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, May 24, 2013
Whitefish Falls...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

will do. Thank you, everyone on these boards - researching our trip has been much easier reading the advice here. Now - off to ask my first question.

Whitefish Falls...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

will do. Thank you, everyone on these boards - researching our trip has been much easier reading the advice here. Now - off to ask my first question.

new york
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Hey thanks for the great info. Goin on a Cruise in july 2013 stopping at 3 ports in Alaska. Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka. we enjoy seeing all the sites. The main cities and towns. the churches, the food, We like to see how people live. In Alaska we would like to do Dog Sledding, the rain forest, museums, Whale watching, glaciers etc. Been told that the city buses and shuttles are all in walkable distance from the Cruise ship and a lot of the must see places in all 3 ports can be done on your own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Please start a new thread for your question. This thread is only an alert about what to post when you start a new topic. Please re-read the first post, since it is best if you included more info! (like are you traveling alone, port times, and any other info that is helpful).

Edited: 8:17 am, June 20, 2013
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

I am traveling to Alaska in a week (party of 2). This is what I have planned and want to see if this looks good. First trip to Alaska, so want to see whatever I can.

Day 1. Reach Anchorage in the evening stay overnight

2. Drive to Whittier for a boat cruise of PWS

3. Do things in Anchorage

4. Drive to Seward by stopping on the way to see the scenery. Stay overnight

5. Exit GLacier on Day 4 or Day 5

6. Drive to Talkeetna and if possible do the Air Tour over Mt. McKinnley Stay in Talkeetna for the night and if possible go to Matanuska Glacier

7. drive to Denali do a day tour and stay in Healy overnight

8. drive to Fairbanks and visit Hot Springs

9. Drive back to Anchorage

10. Spend all day in Anchorage and then fly out.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,928 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

whoami18 - this thread is meant for information - you really need to begin your own post. It is easy to do - just go to the Alaska forum - and start where it says "Ask a Question" - and then you can put all that info there and receive replies. :)