We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

israel
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

Good morning to you all. The AMHS published the summer schedule. I try to build an itinerary, and would like to hear your comments. We are 2 adults+2 teens+a rented car.

day 1 - ferry from prince rupert to wrangell. Taking a cabin. arrival day 2 morning.

day 2-after arrival, le conte glacier or anan creek. night in wrangell.

day 3-le conte glacier or anan creek. ferry leaves at 10PM, night onboard.

day 4-arrival to juneau at noon, flight to gustavus, night in gustavus/glacier bay. If I fly to gustavus, is there a safe place in juneau to leave my car and luggages?

day 5-glacier bay tour. night in gustavus/glacier bay.

day 6-flight to juneau.night in juneau.

day 7- a day in juneau. night in juneau.

day 8-ferry to haines, night in haines.

day 9- ferry tp skagway, a night in skagway.

Is that plan doable? logical? I will be glad to hear any of your comments, Thank you.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

When exactly are you going? Anan Creej has a limited peak season.

Why are you spending just a night each in Haines and Skagway? That means in reality you will see very little of either place. I would go to one or the other and spend two nights.

Are you driving back south via Canada after your above plan ends?

You can leave your car at the airport in Juneau. Or ask your hotel in Juneau about leaving it there for free.

Edited: 9:56 am, October 06, 2012
israel
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

Thank you. We are going in late-july, so the anan creek is open. I will take your advice and stay 2 nights in haines or skagway, which of them is recommended? We plan to drive south via canada (the cassier-stewart road).

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

Day 2. There is no way I would plan on going to Anan Creek or La Conte Glacier on the same day when you arrive in Wrangell. Spend at least two nights there if you want to go to Anan Wildlife Observatory. The ferries are often delayed and sometimes canceled. You need to be more flexible and come up with less constricted itinerary. Once when planned to travel from Hyder to connect with Alaska Highway there were wildfires and the highway got closed so we had to drive around adding about 800 miles to get to our next destinations but we had plenty of time and were flexible. You need to have plenty of extra time when traveling in Yukon, northern part of BC and AK.

Are you renting a car in Prince Rupert and taking it on the ferry? If not where are you planning to rent it in order to drive the Cassiar Highway to Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK. There are post in the Yukon forum on TA on driving Cassiar Highway and visiting Stewart and Hyder. Do research but make sure you have a correct spelling of the Cassiar Highway. If you are lucky there should be bears in Fish Creek in Hyder at that time. Here is a link to my review of our visit to Hyder and Stewart. tripadvisor.com/…37185500

It’s impossible to make suggestions whether you should stay in Haines or Skagway since you did not say what are your interests and why do you want to visit these places.

If you have a rental car with you then you can spend two nights in Haines. After that you could, for example, take the ferry (not the fast ferry since this one does not accommodate cars) to Skagway and drive from there to Alaska Highway and before Watson Lake connect with Cassiar Highway.

Edited: 10:52 am, October 07, 2012
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

places - you made some comment of AMHS at Hyder?? The ferries no longer serve that community

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

<<places - you made some comment of AMHS at Hyder?>> I did? Where? Why would I do that?

In the second paragraph I wrote "If not where are you planning to rent it in order to drive the Cassiar Highway to Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK. There are post in the Yukon forum on TA on driving Cassiar Highway and visiting Stewart and Hyder <<

I responded to OP's statement <<We plan to drive south via canada (the cassier-stewart road)."

In the first paragraph I stated "Once when planned to travel from Hyder to connect with Alaska Highway." I never wrote in my posts about taking the ferry to/from Hyder.

Edited: 12:52 pm, October 07, 2012
israel
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

We plan to begin and finish our trip in Vancouver and rent there a car, then go north by the ferry as mentioned in my first post and back via cassiar(!) highway. I wasn't aware of the possibility that the ferry can be late or cancelled. I now understand that we need to be flexible, but I also understand that I must book hotels, flights and tours well in advance, so I'm rather confused.Any advices on this issue?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

Rachel, do book everything ahead of time.......If there are weather related delays on the ferry (very rare during summer months) the ferry will not charge you a re-booking fee, same with mechanical issues (also rare in summer).....AMH is quick to put a replacement ferry into service if one breaks down, often with a delay of hours, not days........

If on the off chance that something of this nature keeps you from your booked accommodation, call the hotel as soon as you know and many of them will cooperate with you, as well........

Make sure you ask about any refund policies for weather delayed or canceled tours......print out all confirmations and pertinent guarantees to keep with you ( I staple the whole bunch together in order for my trips and it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion).......

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

Places - I guess I got confused when you brought up Hyder in the subject of AKMH ferries. We were there in 1994 and they had weekly service from Ketchikan, just like Seward. In fact we took the Tustumena from Valdez to downtown Seward (now the Sealife Center).

9. Re: AMHS Prince rupert - Skagway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 14, 2013