We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

We will have dropped off our rental car in Anchorage and need to get to Seward for our cruise and to enjoy the area. Is the train or the bus a better option? The bus seems to be less costly but are we missing out by not taking the train? Also, the bus stops at the Wildlife refuge which sounds nice...?

Your input, please.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

I think you are best to post this question in one of the other threads about your trip. Here is one:

tripadvisor.com/…38007876

There are too many questions to ask before anyone could give you an intelligent answer, some or all of which might already be answered on the other thread(s).

florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

Hello, fti,

I am sure that you are trying to be helpful but I don't understand what you mean by the comment, "There are too many questions to ask before anyone could give you an intelligent answer,". Are you referring to my question regarding train or bus? or my itinerary question in general? I did not think that I was asking too many questions. I have read many other questions which seem longer than mine, and they are being answered. Again, what exactly are you trying to say? I thought that since this question involved specifically getting to Seward that I should be starting a new thread....no?

Thank you for clarifying.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

By "there are too many questions to ask" I meant things like - how many people are traveling, what are your interests, what do you plan to do in Seward? If we knew answers to those types of questions, we would be better able to help. Honestly I haven't looked at the other thread for answers to these questions, but that info would be helpful. With several people, maybe a one-way car rental is best (an option you didn't mention). If you haven't been along Turnagain Arm previously in your trip maybe that is best since there is so much to do/see. If you wish to take advantage of the excellent 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour, your best option is probably the train.

That is what I was trying to say - not that you are asking too many questions!

I trust you understand.

Edited: 8:34 pm, January 17, 2012
Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

This depends on the focus of your trip.

The train is lovely, leisurely, a great ride on a train that is an icon in Alaska.

Bus are generally lame but the bus views are mostly the same.

The wildlife center is great for photos of moose & bear ---which you may not be lucky enough to see in the wild.

If the bus gets you to Seward sooner & you are on a tight schedule, that's a bonus. Seward has the boat docks, gorgeous scenery, wonderful locals, a few cute artist shops, some great local restaurants with yummy local seafood.

Hope this helps you.

Teresa

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,914 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

If your sole purpose to Seward is to catch your cruise be aware that the train leaves early in the morning and you had better return the car the evening before. The bus leaves about the same time. I assume that you are not talking about a cruise contracted rail or bus shuttle.

florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

Thank you all so very much for your input. I believe that I must clarify my question regarding train or bus to Seward. We are two people who will be catching a cruise in Seward. We will have dropped off the car rental the day before in Anchorage and plan on spending at least two days in Seward prior to the cruise. Hearing that the Alaska train ride from Anchorage to Seward offers spectacular scenery, we would like to compare it to the possibility of taking the bus. The bus seems to be less expensive but are we giving up the experience of the train? is the bus ride as scenic? is the bus ride as comfortable? is the Wildlife Center worth a stop on the bus? are there coupons for either the train or the bus? must reservations be made in advance?

Again, thank you all for your input...sooo appreciated!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,914 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

In my opinion the Wildlife Center is not

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

No clear winner here . The train runs next to the road much of the way - so a lot of the scenery will be the same - but not all - you will get closer to glaciers and be in genuine wilderness during part of the train journey when it travels a different route from Portage to Moose Pass.

The wildlife center is nice for being a glorified zoo. There is no good way to see caged animals but these folks do their best to present animals in "natural conditions" behind a fence. Indeed, professional photographers have been known to pass off photos of grizzlies as "wild" that were actually taken here.

If you want to see the wildlife center or save the money there is nothing wrong with the bus and you will have great views (if the weather is nice) - but the train would be spectacular if the money isn't a big deal and probably more relaxing too.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

I really enjoyed the train ride. It showed a lot of scenery that you cant see from the road. Yes you can find coupons. Alaska toursaver and also the northern lights coupon book have coupons. However seward is a small town. Do you have plans of what you are going to do there?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anchorage to Seward...train or bus?

I really enjoyed the train ride. It showed a lot of scenery that you cant see from the road. Yes you can find coupons. Alaska toursaver and also the northern lights coupon book have coupons. However seward is a small town. Do you have plans of what you are going to do there?