We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Before you create a new thread asking about the best hikes in Denali, what to wear in Alaska, or what the 'must do' activities are, please look in the Top Questions on the right side of each forum. Many times these questions have already been answered and while the majority of the Top Questions are in the main Alaska forum, there are more specific ones in the other forums (such as the Denali National Park forum).

Also, be sure to look at the Trip Reports under Top Questions to read about what activities and locations will appeal to you. Once you have done some reading, come back around and ask as many specific questions as you need to- we just ask that you do some basic research first.

The 'Search in' can be used to search each forum for specific information as well.

Try to keep as many of the questions in the same thread as possible, so we have all the info in one place. It makes a difference on what answers you get to 'should I stay two or three nights in Seward' when we already know that you are only going to be in Alaska 7 days.

Please provide us with specific information- the dates and times you arrive and leave Alaska; ages, activity level, and interests of all the people traveling in your group; preferred methods of travel and lodging; and an idea of your budget if possible.

The Destination Experts and long-time forum helpers have gone to a lot of trouble to make life easier for you when you are looking for information. Please make life easier for us by not making us answer the same questions again and again. That will also help you when there are specific questions you need answered since we'll have more time to help you with what isn't already in the forum.

Edited: 9:01 pm, July 25, 2011
20 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Well that's disappointing Carl . . . thanks for letting us know.

Many of the other TA forums don't make much use out of that feature, but here in the AK Forums we do.

12. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, April 30, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Having used Trip Advisor for several years, I am sure that it can become annoying in answering the same questions, over and over. However, I believe that the mission of TA is to help the traveler, even the less adept TA user, in answering their questions, redundant or not. As a DE, you do have the option of ignoring the redundant questions if you choose if not handled positively.

Unfortunately I believe that intended or not, the lead post is likely to drive the novice TA user away by being a chastisement rather than a helpful suggestion. Perhaps the frustrated DEs might take a look at other TA forums (the Israel Forum for example) that ask the OP specific questions and then try to teach the OP how they might obtain their answers using the TA search capabilities. Unfortunately, what I got from Alaskantiger's post is, "Don't bother us unless you have done your homework first."

Finally, thanks to all of the Alaska DEs that donate so much of their time in sharing information on their beautiful state. We know that we drive you crazy sometimes with our dumb questions, but we appreciate your being patient with us.

Bob

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Hi Bob- Welcome to TA-AK!

We always appreciate thoughtfully-worded feedback.

Alaskans tend to be tough, independent, resourceful folks; yet, we are very helpful, with tons of quite detailed information compiled in our Top Questions, Traveler Articles, and forum posts. Alaska is a gigantic, multi-faceted expanse of land with extremes, detailed intricacies and magnificent opportunities. So it takes a lot of words to cover it all!

No chastisement is ever intended here. From the flood of newcomers every day, hopefully no one has been driven away, as you suggest. If so, come back, as we are wonderful, knowledgeable lovers of our great land.

15. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, July 10, 2012

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Another hint for people looking for information - use the "Alaska" & "Things to Do" tabs at the top of the page. You will also find some great resources there in addition to the Top Questions on the right. You'll find most general topics are covered between the 2 areas. You can then use the forums to ask specific questions about your particular holiday :)

Hint for people on ipads - DON'T USE THE APP - It's completely useless in comparison to the website. I would only use it on the go if I really HAD to. I prefer to access the website - even from my phone :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
110 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

I was just reading some of the comments on this site and will not be asking anymore question about Alaska. I'll figure everything out for myself. Thank you though for your input and help with the questions that I did ask. Sorry I did not give enough info as to what I wanted to do. I do however appreciate your time. Pu Ke akua Mea Oe Kawananaaulani

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Cruise and two week itinerary, looking for suggestions, thanks in advance!

July12 - 19 Juneau to Sitka cruise. Glacier Bay, Icy Strait, Baranof Island, Peril Strait, Sitka

July 19 Fly to Anchorage stay at B&B 2 nights

July 20 Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, Museum if rain

July 21Pick up RV drive to Girdwood then on to Soldotna.

July 22 Fly to lodge for bear viewing and over night

July 23 Back at 10am from bear viewing, drive to Hope for six mile river rafting then on to Porcupine CG 2 nights

July 24 Porcupine CG Gull Rock hike ??

July 25 - 26 Drive to Seward 2 nights Kenai Fjords Cruise half day, kayak?, Sea Life Center

July 27 Drive to Talkeetna Byers Lake, Flightseeing McKinley. Is the flight seeing within a reasonable distance to Byers Lake?

July 28 Flightsee McKinley this morning if weather was bad on the 27th. Drive to Denali. Stop at Riley, pick up tickets go on to Teklanika for 3 nights.

July 29 Wonder Lake Shuttle

July 30 ??? Hikes, raft?

July 31 Drive to Matanuska King Mtn

Aug 1 Get to Anchorage by 4 to return RV and shuttle to airport.

There are 2 of us traveling. We are in our early 50's in reasonable shape. Any suggestions would be great for hikes or activities. We were thinking of going to Homer but opted for less driving and wanted to be sure to get some rafting in so we decided on Hope/Porcupine instead. Also, the spit sounds a little more hectic than we are looking for. Is that something we should re-think? Thanks again

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

PJ- thank you much for reading this thread first!! And great job on the detail of your post. If you can copy and paste it into a new thread, by clicking Ask a Question from the main Alaska forum, lots of people will see it and respond. Right now it's hiding in a thread that the experts don't look at.

20. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:00 am, December 23, 2015

Reply to: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted