We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with perishable foods

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Flying with perishable foods

I’m flying in August from Anchorage to Kotzebue for 6 days from where we want to take a couple of overnight backpacking treks in Kobuk Valley National Park. I would like to buy vegetables and fruits in Anchorage and take them on a plane. I don’t think packing meat and fish is realistic. Would like suggestions how to pack these items. Is cardboard box a good idea? I guess I cannot seal it but who will after the inspection? Thank you for ideas.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Flying with perishable foods

Do like everyone else does and pack it in cardboard and check it as baggage. Tape it shut and let them open it if they want to; if you want to be sure of them re-closing it properly use some binding straps or ropes that they can re-tie.

Just plan on taking things and allow for lack of refrigeration. So frozen meat will last longer than thawed and chilled; plan your menu so you eat it before it spoils.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Flying with perishable foods

I guess it would depend if you are carrying on or checking. You can get a freezer box at any store and send anything perishable this way. You can also check a cooler. Wrap fruit in newspaper and bubble wrap and it will be fine. There is no reason that you cannot take some cold cuts if you like, the best thing to do is freeze anything before you pack it, I often pack this type of food in a soft side lunch cooler and then inside some piece of luggage. You may just want to take some sausage, smoked salmon or hunters sticks that won't spoil so that you do not have to worry about refrigeration. You can seal the box, they will tape it back up, but maybe wait until you get to the counter and check with the customer service person. You can also pick up groceries in Kotzebue but they will be more expensive. You also get 3 checked bags free if you are flying Alaska Air, so you could check a box and throw it away when you are done with it.

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Flying with perishable foods

thank you 71 and spacefry for very helpful suggestions. That's what I should do, pack it in cardboard and check it as a baggage. Yes, I'm flying with Alaska Airlines. Is there another airline that flies to Kotzebue? The answer is not that important because I'm using my airline reward miles so it costs only $10.00 (plus many miles) for 2 people round trip. I like an idea of wrapping fruit in newspaper and bubble wrap. We are prepared to buy some items in Kotzebue but want to make sure we have fruit and vegetables. I wouldn't want to be caught without them if local store has limited quantity and quality. This is my first visit to Kotzebue. I hope there plenty of wild blueberries we can pick. Thank you for your help

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Flying with perishable foods

Our friends who live in the bush are always bringing home boxes of perishables from Costco. That's the Alaskan way since bush groceries are so limited/expensive & Alaska Airlines is so used to it. I love my Bethel friend's story of her $30 watermelon.

Pat2003, I remember your hiking questions earlier & do so beg you to come back with a trip report. I can't wait to hear about your travels.

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Flying with perishable foods

Denalicat, I would love to learn about $30.00 watermelon. Please tell. I'm checking out different sites where I can post my trip report with pictures, maps and text for free. Recommendations?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Flying with perishable foods

It's a simple story. My Bethel friend wanted a watermelon for 4th of July & when she got to the register it was $30! She was too embarrassed not to take it so she did. Her husband rolls his eyes.

Someone else will have to help you with a site for photo/journal. That is not my forte.

7. Re: Flying with perishable foods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:27 pm, June 19, 2010
Edited: 12:27 pm, June 19, 2010
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,196 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Flying with perishable foods

>>Is there another airline that flies to Kotzebue?

Yes, ERA Aviation flies there as well, usually from Fairbanks though.

>>I'm using my airline reward miles so it costs only $10.00 (plus many miles) for 2 people round trip.

For others reading this, Alaska Air miles would cost 15,000 miles per person round trip for flights within Alaska, such as from Anchorage to Kotzebue. If someone is using Delta miles, you can get from anywhere in the lower 48 to Anchorage AND to another city in Alaska such as Kotzebue, Kodiak, King Salmon, etc. for 25K miles per person. This of course assumes availability at those award levels.

Some airlines will charge you 25K miles just for flights within Alaska (American Airlines comes to mind). But that is not the best use of miles.

9. Re: Flying with perishable foods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 17, 2010