We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
318 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
what to wear?

I am a female and we are leaving Monday - yeah!!!!!! What do I need to pack to wear out to dinner? Right now I just have some jeans packed.

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear?

Are you on a cruise or just flying up?? About the only fashion code in Alaska is "practical" as function rules over style. Things are very casual up here . . . even in the nicest restaurants, jeans are fine. :)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Arkansas
Level Contributor
318 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear?

Thank you - I thought it would be ok for jeans. We are flying up.

Hammonton, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear?

Make sure you check the weather. We just came back from a cruise at the end of May. It was warm. I could have brought some shorts. We did a helicopter tour too and I just wore my jeans and a shirt. Enjoy the trip it is an amazing state.

Tulsa, Ok
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear?

We are cruising to Alaska May 31 inside passage,for land trips .what type of clothes do we need? Heavy light or both?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear?

<<<<<<<<We are cruising to Alaska May 31 inside passage,for land trips .what type of clothes do we need? Heavy light or both?>>>>>

Bring layers and a backpack so you can have a place to store your layers if the weather warms up as the day goes on. I went mid-June 2008 and brought silk long underwear, fleece pants and jacket, waterproof jacket and lined windpants. We had a cool week with some record low temperatures. I was very happy with my choices. We spent a lot of time out on deck and several of our excursions were boat tours on rainy days. I also brought ear muffs and convertible mittens. A lot will depend on your tolerance for cold. My DH had a fleece and waterproof jacket, but just wore jeans with no other layers on his legs. We were both comfortable with our choices.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Tulsa, Ok
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear?

Thank you for the info. Will take your advice!

7. Re: what to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 20, 2009