We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks to Anchorage in 9 days

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Fairbanks to Anchorage in 9 days

Hi,

We land in Fairbanks on friday night and are going to rent a car and fly home from Anchorage 9 days later. Please give me any tips on itinerary for the visit. I would love to fish, hike,see any and everything possible. Please help and give tour companys , hotels and activities. We want to drive to Denali but have read that private cars can't get very far... any suggestions??

Thanks.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairbanks to Anchorage in 9 days

Well, I would spend one day in Fairbanks - check out the museam at the University, maybe tour a gold mine, go on the Riverboat discovery, etc. Lot's to do in Fairbanks. Hotels suggestions: Princess, Pike's, Springhill Suites, and many B&B's. Food: Gambardella's, Lemongrass, Thai House, Geraldo's (on College Rd), Lavelle's, Turtle Club, etc.

Denali Park - plan at least 2 days or more here, as it will certainly be one of the highlights of your trip. You can drive your private car in 15 miles, but to see the rest via the road, you need to take the shuttle bus. Do this - it's wonderful, and you actually see much more letting them drive. Go as far as Wonder Lake if you can. You can also do a plane or helicopter flight, raft the river (I would recommend DOC), hikes- short and long, attend ranger programs/hikes, doggie demo. Lots of places to stay, but they fill up quick this time of year: Princess Hotel, McKinley Chalets, Sourdough Cabins - are just a few near park entrance. Many more accomodations north of the Park in Healy, and some to the south of the Park - many B&B's, etc. Good local food: McKinley Creekside, Chalets-Riverview Grille, Black Diamond Grille, 229 Parks, and the Lunch Box.

Driving down the Parks, stop in Talkeetna - that would be a fun stop. Also, possibly a trip to Hatcher Pass, which is further down the Parks as you head toward Wasilla. Very pretty area. You can head up the Glenn Hiway after visiting the Palmer area (Musk Ox farm) - drive to at least the Matanuska Glacier - one of the prettiest drives in the state, I think. Take in a meal at Sheep Mtn Lodge, or at Hick's Creek roadhouse - simple, but yummy food.

Head into Anchorage - you could stay here, or journey down the Seward highway - visit Girdwood, or drive to Seward or Homer, but this will add a bit of driving. Can't imagine missing these places. Sealife center in Seward is great! Lots of opportunities for fishing trips, too. You will probably want at least one day in Anchorage, too.

I am sure many people can add much more - this should get you started. Really depends how much driving you want to do -you might decide to stay longer in one area - so much to choose from! I would get a Milepost when you land in Fairbanks - that would be very helpful to you since you are driving.

Have a great trip! :)

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairbanks to Anchorage in 9 days

Thank you so much for the tips. My husband is in Fairbanks teaching a class this week. He can investigate and maybe get some things booked before I arrive on friday. I keep reading about the toursaver book. Is it really a must? Can I find one in Fairbanks? I have been reading about Chena Hot Springs. Is that a good stop for a night? Where is the best place to fish and a reasonable tour company?

Thanks again,

patti