We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska cruise from San Francisco

san francisco
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska cruise from San Francisco

Has anyone taken this cruise?

Never been on a cruise before.

Please give me advice.

Need to make reservations for summer 2008 for parent's 50th anniversary.

Which are the best cabin locations?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska cruise from San Francisco

Hi Alex. Sorry, I haven't taken that cruise, but this site might help you with your questions as a first-timer: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/

It has all sorts of links at the bottom of the page on how to choose a cabin, cruiseship, etc.

Feel free to come back here if you have other questions about Alaska!

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska cruise from San Francisco

In planning an Alaska cruise, everything depends on your parents' priorities (and your budget). Sailing out of San Francisco, the voyage is mostly about the ship, since the majority of your time is spent at sea. Sailing out of Vancouver, you get great views of the coast virtually all of the time. There are many itineraries - again, your priorities will decide which ports suit their interests the best - see sites such as youralaskacruise.com/alaska_cruise_ports.html for port information (the cruise reviews there will also help). The best itineraries in my opinion are the one-ways (ie fly home from Alaska), but the north-south cruises are cheaper and offer a great intro to the pleasures of cruising. Which cruise line? Well, you'll get many, many opinions on that! Having sailed to Alaska with HAL once and RCI 3 times, I go for the best price - cruise discounters can get you huge savings over the cruise rack rate.

Murray

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
California
Level Contributor
25 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska cruise from San Francisco

Hi Alex babe

I have not taken that cruise but have taken several coastal cruises to Vancouver area from SF. My only objections are that the ocean can get very rough going north out of SF and that cruise will not travel between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Canada will not allow ships leaving from American ports to travel that part of the inside passage. It is one of the most scenic areas and a pertect place to spot whales at the right time of the year. The other cruises go outside of Vancouver Island where there is nothing but water to see and it can often get rough out there.

A good option, especially if you want to splurge a little, is to fly them into Vancouver, have them stay a night at the Pan Pacific Hotel and take a ship out of there. The Pan Pacific Hotel is right above the pier and is a fantastic place to spend one or two nights in Vancouver before leaving on the cruise. We were there in August and it was great. Just take the elevator down to the boarding area and you are on your way.

However, if they don't want to fly, the SF cruise may be your only option. The Dawn Princess is a very nice ship. We have taken her to Alaska out of Vancouver.

Everybody has their own opinion about cabins. Some like those on the upper floor where they can get a suite or balconey, others like to be down on a lower deck where there is less motion. Either way, try to get in the center of the ship where there will be less motion in rough seas. I like to be one deck above our below an outside deck so I can get outside quickly to take photos of interesting sites. I also like to walk on the Promenade deck each morning so being close to it is a plus.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
4. Re: Alaska cruise from San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 09, 2009