We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

Next month I plan to travel to Birmingham via plane, I will then need to make my way to the Greyhound bus stop to Birmingham (morning), to take the first of two buses - first to Montgomery (afternoon), then onto Mobile.

Am I correct in thinking this the best way to get to Mobile from Birmingham, I do not have access to a car. What is the best way to get from the airport to the bus stop?

Lastly, are the Birmingham and Montogomery bus stops safe? I will be waiting at both for an hour or two.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

The Birmingham airport is not close to the boys station do you will need to use a cab. The bus station should be safe in the morning, but as in any downtown area, stay alert and watch your back. There is no train service from Birmingham to Mobile so the bus or airplane is your only choice.

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

You are correct that the Greyhound bus is the best way to get from Birmingham to Mobile; there is no train or express bus service. From the Birmingham airport to the Greyhound station would be about a $20 cab ride or you can ride the #20 MAX bus for $1.25 (NO Sunday service) which will bring you within a couple of blocks of the Greyhound bus station (bjcta.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/20-AIRP…). The Birmingham station is not in the best neighborhood of Birmingham but I would have no problem walking from the MAX bus and waiting there for a couple of hours – it’s not dangerous by any stretch of imagination during the day and is constantly crowded; if any panhandlers bother you for money just say no.

The Montgomery bus station is a stand alone building on a very busy road in a safe area of town just east of I-65; I would have no problem waiting there for a few hours either.

Your trip will be long but I wouldn't worry about safety beyond normal traveler precautions. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

The Birmingham station will be fine during the day. It is close to the Birmingham City Hall, County Courthouse and lots of office buildings, so there will be lots of people around if this is a weekday. I would just take a tax from the airport. They will be lined up and waiting.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

ya'll keep saying the station is safe during the day. I will be arriving in Birmingham at 7:30pm, cabbing it to the bus depot to catch an 8:30 bus on a staturday night......is it still safe around that time??

Mentioned in this post
Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

You shouldn't have any problems at all at those times, especially taking a cab. I wouldn't walk from the public bus stop to the Greyhound station at 12:30 a.m.; but your times are fine. I will say you will want to get off the plane, grab your bag, and go straight to the taxi line outside the lower level doors near baggage claim and go. One hour between landing and boarding the bus is about as tight as I'd like to see; it's less than 15 minutes from the airport to the bus station but you'll want to leave time for a flight delay, getting your bag (if you checked one), getting a cab, and getting on board the bus. I presume you already have your bus ticket in hand? In not, go ahead and buy it online to avoid any standing in line at the ticket window.

Have a great trip! Stay and visit us in Birmingham next time! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Saint Louis...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

Another question about the Montgomery Greyhound station. I'm looking at a route that would have a layover from 4 am to 9:30 am. I am a young woman traveling alone, but with common sense. Is the bus station safe, or should I look for a different route? Thanks!

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

That's a rough layover but I don't see it being particularly problematic. I tried to call the station at the phone number listed on the website [Main: (334) 286-0658] but didn't get an answer. Of course we are also under a Tornado Watch at the moment so they might be a little busy. I encourage you to call and talk to a human and make sure there will really be an employee manning the station at those hours.

You may also want to post this question specifically in the Montgomery forum to attract more attention to your question. Good luck and safe travels!

https:/…

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
33 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

If you can fly into Atlanta (typically cheaper than BHM), then take the MegaBus. Limited stops. Only Montgomery and Mobile. It's quick and has free wi-fi on board. My $.02

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

Hi, I'm planning to take a Greyhound bus from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham. Is there a city bus to from the bus station to the airport? Or my best bet would be to take a taxi from the bus station to the airport? How much would the city bus or taxi cost? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: BHM Airport - Greyhound buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 05, 2015