We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas to Florida in 8 days?

Flying Fish Cove...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Texas to Florida in 8 days?

Hi all. We are travelling to the States in June/July 2014. I am having trouble planning the southern part of our holiday. We are leaving Vegas on 5th July and need to be in San Fran to regroup with friends on around 13 or 14 July. We are really keen to see the southern coast line so at this stage we are thinking of flying from Vegas to Texas (perhaps Austin?) and then driving the southern coast and flying to San Fran from Florida (not sure where exactly in Florida?). So what I'm wondering is if we are going to have enough time to see much of the coast line. Do you think Austin is a viable option or is this drive from Austin too far? Also I would love some recommendations for accommodation and places to visit along the way.

I have the rest of our trip planned to within an inch of it's life but i'm really struggling with this leg!

We are traveling with our two children, aged 5 & 8, we love the outdoors - particularly the beach. We are from a hot/humid climate so heat will not be a problem for us. We realise that this is a very busy time of the year - do these beaches along the southern coast line get very busy at that time of the year?

I would REALLY appreciate any help/advice that you can offer. Thanks in advance, Jahna

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas to Florida in 8 days?

As nice as Austin is, if you want to get to Florida with a couple of stops on the way, I would go a little further east. I would recommend flying to New Orleans and staying for a couple of nights to see the area and enjoy the great food. Lots of great places to stay downtown and near the French Quarter. From there, you can drive east on Interstate 10 through Mississippi to Alabama. For a good beach stop, I would recommend Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, Alabama. It does get crowded for most of the summer, but there are some quieter areas a little further out from the main town in an area called Fort Morgan. You are still a short drive to all of the touristy things and restaurants. Lots of condos and houses to rent in the area. After a couple of nights there, you can head east along the coast through Florida - Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Pensacola and Panama City are popular stops in that part of Florida. There is a beautiful area called Seaside with nice houses to rent and a more laid back feel. From there, you have two choices - go all the way across on I-10 to Jacksonville and Daytona Beach (this would literally make you trip coast to coast) or turn off onto I-75 south to Orlando for a couple of days. Either of these would be good options for flying to San Francisco.

Note that renting a car in one location and dropping it at another will have significant penalty fees added on. Also, when booking flights within the US, Southwest Airlines (southwest.com) can only be priced and booked on their site. Their fares do not show up on third party sites like Kayak or Expedia. They are a good option for flights because they allow two bags per person at no additional charge. The cities mentioned are all services by Southwest.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

2. Re: Texas to Florida in 8 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 06, 2014