We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal red shrimp

Whitney, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Royal red shrimp

I am in Gulf Shores and have heard so much about the Royal Red Shrimp so we just ate at Steamers on 1st Blvd. I would like to know if theses shrimp are always impossible to peel. There were 5 of us and we each ordered a pound each. They had a great flavor but it took an act of congress to peel them. We have eaten Gulf shrimp all our lives and were wondering if this is something to do with the royal reds. Our waitress said they may have been over steamed. Is there a secret to pealing them. Would like to know if it is worth trying them somewhere else or if you always loose half the shrimp because it sticks to the shell. All help is appreciated. Really enjoyed the flavor.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Royal red shrimp

Nice

baton rouge, la
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Royal red shrimp

I just got home from Perdido Key, FL today and tried Royal Reds for the first time a couple of days ago. We got ours from the seafood market right under the bridge and they steamed and seasoned them for us. They were fabulous!! They were just the opposite of hard to peel. The shells practically fell off of them. And they were very large. I'll be back there next weekend for more. The best shrimp I've ever eaten. If they were hard to peel they didn't cook them properly in my opinion. Overcooked.

Florence
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Royal red shrimp

I had Royal Reds this weekend at Cotton's and they were impossible to peel too. Were they old and or not fresh? Once they were peeled they tasted great.

Overland Park...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Royal red shrimp

Yesterday, I had Royal Reds at Steamers in Gulf Shores, for the second time in two years. I conclude that Steamers does not know how to prepare Royal Red Shrimp. Both times, my orders were overcooked and over-seasoned; thus making them hard to peel and tough. Many times I have prepared Royal Reds myself, and they are easy to peel. But they require a light hand and very little seasoning to enjoy their sweet, tender tails. Reds are available fresh for a limited time each year-- Spring. Otherwise they are frozen, and this should not be a problem. The recipe is simple. Boil water, introduce shrimp, wait for water to return to boil and wait no longer than five minutes to see shrimp rise to the top. Remove shrimp, peel and enjoy. [By the way, Steamers does a fine job with oysters.]

Pensacola, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Royal red shrimp

no way ! they must have been over cooked. I just made my own that I bought fresh at Joe Patti's in Pensacola, this is the 2nd time I bought from there once I grilled them and last night I steamed them. Yes great flavor and they are as easy as any to peel! Sorry you had this experience!

Navarre, FL, United...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Royal red shrimp

I just boiled 2 lbs. of Royal Reds and the peels almost feel off by themselves. They were the best shrimp I have ever ate and I have ate tons of shrimp over the last 50 years. Tough to peel shrimp is usually due to being overcooked which also makes them tough and cooks out the flavor.

naew31
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Royal red shrimp

Next time try the Flora-Bama! We ate Shrimp there and Doc's and they were yummy at both places. The Royal Reds were Amazing though and were not tough to peel at all.. I am guessing that they were overcooked.

1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Royal red shrimp

Royal Reds are not cooked like other shrimp. The consistency of their flesh means their cooking time is just a bit more than half that of most other types of shrimp. When they are overcooked, it becomes difficult to peel them because the shell hardens. If you had a hard time peeling these little gems, they were very overcooked. You did not have an easy time peeling them, and you did not get to appreciate their full potential. To peel them more easily, I have found that pulling off the legs and shell from the bottom is best. Pull it around over the back from bottom to top. The shell is weakest where the legs meet the back.

In the future, get them for yourself and cook them carefully. Remember, a little more than half the time it takes to cook most other shrimp. It's effortless to peel them when they're not overcooked.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Royal red shrimp

The last month or so I've gone to Cajun Steamer in Hoover and had some really great Royal Reds and Crawfish. I think it's time for another trip.

southern ontario
Level Contributor
925 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Royal red shrimp

I had them at the Florabama this year but was grossed out that they were not cleaned.