We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good, safe place to stay in Alabama

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Good, safe place to stay in Alabama

heya we are a group of Aussies road tripping around parts of America.... on one of our legs we will be driving from Memphis to New Orleans and really want to stay the night somewhere in between in Alabama. Looking for a small little safe town... we may want to venture out during the night to a local pub and mix it up with the locals.... really want something out of the norm for us and experience a bit of culture. Wasn't too stressed about it until some people we know were over there not too long ago and said some towns in Alabama are a little dodgy. It would be awesome if someone could just send me in the right direction : ) Cheers

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
582 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good, safe place to stay in Alabama

Your route from Memphis to New Orleans will pretty much take you straight down through Mississippi...Alabama would be out of your way. Do you have a particular reason for wanting to detour through there?

If I were you, I'd choose Oxford, Mississippi, which is home to the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss). It's a wonderful little college town with a beautiful campus, good restaurants and a great downtown square. You'd have a lot of options for hanging out with the locals in pubs, bars, etc.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,313 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good, safe place to stay in Alabama

I agree with Oxford or if into Civil War history then Vicksburg which is right on Mississippi river is nice too.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good, safe place to stay in Alabama

You can drive from Memphis to NOLA easily in about 6 hours. I would take Highway 61 S and have lunch at Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale, MS home of the Blues. Head S and spend the night in historic Vicksburg, MS and visit the National Military Park. Head S to Natchez, MS and visit the antebellum homes there. Enjoy your trip.

VISIT THE DELTA......

http://www.visitthedelta.com/

MS BLUES TRAIL...........

http://www.msbluestrail.org/

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good, safe place to stay in Alabama

Thank you all for your help !! Will definitely talk to the travel buddies and see what they are keen for .... may even just get up early make a few stops and battle on to New Orleans in the day ... guess we will just see where the road takes us :D

5. Re: Good, safe place to stay in Alabama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, June 18, 2013