We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antebellum Homes

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Antebellum Homes

Hi! My husband and I will be road tripping across Alabama to get on our way to Memphis and we would like to tour at least one antebellum home/plantation. We will be traveling on Hwys 20 and 78. We would not like to veer too far off the track. If there aren't any are there any that anyone know about on 78 in Mississippi up to Memphis? Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antebellum Homes

There is really not, IMO, anywhere worth stopping between Birmingham and the state line for that type historical visit. This area was "primarily" developed around industry in the late 19th century.

ANYWAY, Aberdeen, MS about 40 miles south of 78/22, is very pretty, on the water, and has historic home tours. Only thing is it is a bit off the route, but scenic.

You can also look at Holly Springs, MS. Maybe only 1 mile off highway, but closer to Memphis.

Check websites, though, because a lot of the tour homes have unusual hours. Occasionally they will do a tour by appointment, so browse their sites and see if you are interested in these towns.

It is rare to find an historical plantation in tact, as acreage is sold off over the years. Also these weren't as many large plantations in this part of the state.

www.aberdeenms.org

www.visithollysprings.com

Have a good trip,

Miller

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antebellum Homes

You're in luck! Right on your way in Birmingham is the Arlington Home and gardens built in the 1840s and is a great example of Greek Revival architecture. Come visit us!

informationbirmingham.com/arlington/index.htm

Miller is correct, there are not many plantation homes left in the area you are traveling (perhaps more closer to Memphis). The large plantations were generally located closer to the rivers (i.e. Alabama R, Tennessee R, Mississippi R) which provided the rich topsoil and level terrain for plantation agriculture; the area you're traveling is largely Appalachian foothills. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Dadeville, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Antebellum Homes

I have family coming to visit that have never been in the south before.

They would like to tour some Antebellum homes. They will be here in

July. I live in Dadeville so any homes in Opelika or Auburn would be

the most convenient for us.

Mentioned in this post
Dadeville
Dadeville
Alabama
Opelika
Opelika
Alabama
Auburn
Auburn
Alabama
Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antebellum Homes

Jo B, around Dadeville is going to be tough. Remember that the terrain around the Tallapoosa River wasn't suitable for large plantations due to the rocks and hills; your best bet may be Arlington in Birmingham as far as a close location. Best of luck, but I just can't come up with another in east-central Alabama.

Mentioned in this post
Dadeville
Dadeville
Alabama
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Alabama
Alabama
United States
5. Re: Antebellum Homes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, May 31, 2013