We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 231

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Highway 231

We are driving from Chicago to Orlando in about a month and want to avoid going through Georgia.

We thought taking 65 to 231 might be a good alternative route. How big of a road is 231?? Is it 2-lane or 4-lane?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Georgia
Georgia
United States
US
Level Contributor
476 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 231

Have not traveled 231 for years, but recall it being part two lanes, part four lanes. By now it is probably all four lanes. Do recall going thru some small towns that would slow us down, but they may have been South of I-10 going towards Panama City. Assume you are taking I-10. Much better route I believe than going thru Georgia.

Mentioned in this post
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Gadsden, Alabama
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 231

I believe it is mainly four laned most of the way through Alabama. It goes through several cities, including Huntsville, Montgomery and Dothan. Hope you have a chance to stop along the way and enjoy the beauty of Alabama.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Dothan
Dothan
Alabama
Alabama
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 231

You will be just south of Montgomery when you get on 231. 99% sure it is all 4 lane. Great road,but lots of traffic around Dothan. Sure beats Atlanta traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Dothan
Dothan
Alabama
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 231

We live in AL and travel to Naples, FL often. We avoid 231 like the plague. For us it's much faster to take I20 to Atlanta then hit I75 straight south to Naples. We do use the loop and avoid downtown Atlanta. 231 is slow with lots of small towns, red lights and police officers. Not that I have ANYTHING against officers.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway 231

Carolyn,

I gotta put in my vote for 231. It does get a bit slow going through Dothan, AL, but is nothing compared to ATL traffic, at any hour, any day.

I am sure you can GPS this, but just in case...

You want to take I-65 South to Montgomery, exit I-85 North (toward Atlanta), then exit Taylor Road (I think exit 9). That will go through about 2 miles of shopping, fast food, gas, etc. This is a SAFE part of town and a good place to make a stop. Your GPS or Mapquest may tell youto take South BLVD exit (off I-65) to connect with 231, but that will take you through a 'lesser' part of town. Taylor Road will dead end into a further south, out of town point on 231, and you'll be on your way.

What we have done is take 231 to I-10, I-10 to I-75, I-75 South to the FL Turnpike, and the Tpke into Orlando.

You are going to Disney...avoid as much stress as you can on the way!

Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Dothan
Dothan
Alabama
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway 231

Oh...yes, 231 is four lane.

You can go to www.randmcnally.com before you leave, and they have up to date road conditions that include construction on Interstate and US Highways.

Have fun.

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highway 231

Thanks! We leave tomorrow morning and have scheduled our overnight stop for Fairfield Inn in Fultondale.

Mentioned in this post
Highland Park...
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highway 231

Just an update now that we have returned home. We had a relaxing drive on US 231! A lot of it had a speed limit of 65. It was a great alternative to Georgia. No traffic at all either way!

Thanks for all the advice!

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Georgia
United States
9. Re: Highway 231

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 30, 2009