We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders?!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spiders?!

I saw the most horrible photo of what can only be a tarantula posted at PDRO.

How common is this? I am literally terrified of them and I couldn't handle it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
750 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spiders?!

I've only saw one once in the past ten trips after it was pointed out to me, never would've noticed it in a million years myself. So I'd say not that big an issue!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Spiders?!

And not in your room, right? It's the in the room part that is REALLY freaking me out.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spiders?!

I would find it unlikey that they would be in your room. Listen PRDO is no different from any other resort in Cuba. All have the potential to have critters in the room. But the doors and windows are solid, no leaks or spaces.

Don't let that make you choose somewhere else, because it can happen anywhere. Villas Jibacoa occasionally has a scorpion in the room, as well as tree frogs, geckos, ants, etc.

In Akumal beach Resort, I had the largest and weirdest bug I've ever seen crawl under my door at night. There was a big space and he barely made it underneath. It was the sound of these creature coming in that woke me. I opened the door and booted it down the hall.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spiders?!

Oops, hope I didn't freak you out. I like seeing bugs and other creatures and get carried away.

When I stayed there, I didn't see anything and I usually keep my eye open for things like that.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spiders?!

Ooo ... my favourite Cuba story. We were at Club Amigo years ago. Had switched to the Villa section which was much nicer than the barracks. I woke up in the middle of the night and there was a very large - 5" anyway - spider on the ceiling right over our bed. Actually, right over my wife. I could clearly see it with all the light coming through the windows and I was very sober (unusual).

I spent quite a lot of time deciding what my choices were:

Should I wake up my wife and have her scream and be afraid to sleep all week. Not good

Should I find a long broom to squish it. Nope, none in the room.

Should I stand on the bed and try to reach the spider and squish it. Nope, decided that the bed was so low and the ceiling high that if I missed it would fall right on her.

Should I just fall asleep. Maybe not as it might fall on me.

Finally the spider ran across the ceiling and came down in the closet area. We spent an hour the next morning searching and never did find it.

Hope you have a great holiday. lol

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spiders?!

You should be so lucky as to see a tarantula. I've been to Cuba well over 40 times, and haven't seen one yet. :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spiders?!

Last September I was at Sol Lunas y Mares and there was one walking across the floor of the buffet.

A British person told me to "tread on it." I had to figure out what she meant, once I realized with horror that she wanted me to squash it, I scooped it up and threw it outside.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
750 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spiders?!

Haha sorry just saw this now - no not in the room, it was on the back of a sign post!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spiders?!

Ya know TraveldougA, you've told that story somewhere in these forums before. I'm sure of it cause it has creeped me out since I read it the first time and it is actually what I thought of as soon as I read the original post here! All I can say is it is probably best that you saw it and not your wife, if she is anything like me she would have woken the entire complex.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spiders?!

It's a tropical country so of course there's lots of critters, but your chances of seeing one on a resort is rare - the use of insecticides/pesticides on the resorts does a pretty good of job of killing most of the indigenous creatures. There are exceptions of course, but there are LOTS of people who've been to Cuba countless times and have never seen a tarantula - even though there's 20+ different species spread out all over the island.

Lastly... remember that Cuba is fairly unique in that (weird allergies aside) there is no land based spider, snake, scorpion, etc. that can harm a healthy adult. Tranquilo...

Cheers,

Terry