We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I change hotel?? ?

Cork
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
should I change hotel?? ?

I'm booked to go to playa pesquero end of November I'm extremely worried now after seeing reviews about food poisoning, there are four of us travelling which includes a diabetic and a coeliac, I was really looking forward to this holiday but now am just really worried we will go and end up with food poisoning, can someone offer me some advice please? Thanks.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,283 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

It's impossible to tell if it's food poisoning without having samples tested. It's just as likely to be someone has taken a virus with them, and it's spreading around other guests for various reasons. If it was a serious concern, the tour operators would send their own health and safety teams in to check up on the hotel.

Edited: 6:32 am, October 20, 2013
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

Go to Boots and get the pills (Prebiotic and probiotic ) take them just before you go and while there. We have just returned from Africa were others had some upset stomach but we did not. My other half always gets it were ever we go and did not with these pills. They are 3 for 2 at the moment I have just stocked up

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

The best thing you can do is to stop reading the reviews. Pretty well every hotel in Cuba seems to have this problem from time to time. I believe a lot of it is self induced, over drinking, over eating combined with too much sun.

I was at the Pesquero a month back and everything was perfect. As LeylandSunaddict says, if this was a serious problem the tour operators would take action.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

It's easy to say stop reading the reviews I'd rather know what I'm facing into instead of going there and spending my time laid up being ill from some dodgy food! Anyway thanks bladesboy for the advice, i'll make sure to get those pills!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

Martha027:

You can't always trust the reviews. People staying there at the same time will often have a different opinion on the resort. All I can say is that anyone who can find fault with the Pesquero hotel has to be very picky. It was 7 years since I stayed there last until September this year and is was just as good, if not better, now than it was then.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

I have had a look and the majority of reviews are very good, take notice of those. As bellagio says most hotels in Cuba has had this problem at one time or another. In fact it can happen at home just as easily. Go and enjoy your holiday and stop reading the reviews, or take them with a pinch of salt.

Cumbria Uk
Level Contributor
349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

Agree with you there Bellagio. There has been a spate of illness reviews blaming the food, but could quite easily be spread by the guests themselves. Often the source is never found.

In contrast, there's been lots of wonderful reviews from guests there at the same time and they have not mentioned tummy upsets. Think that the illness reviewers have been just unfortunate.

Try not to worry too much but go prepared for all eventualities as you would anywhere else in the world.

somerset
Level Contributor
165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

I agree with Bellagio, some reviews are good September and this is the same time as the food poisoning ones so take them with a pinch of salt i have messaged the resort just to see what they have to say. I will let you all know if i get a reply. Ime sure there is nothing to worry about. :)

somerset
Level Contributor
165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

Also add that dirty hands are to blame for a lot of sickness and illness , if people washed their hands after going too the loo it would half the bugs,i have bottles of sanitiser in my luggage ready to go with me.

Cork
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: should I change hotel?? ?

Cheers guys thanks so much for your replies what ye are saying makes a lot of sense and given me reassurance. That would be great too sunny if you could let me know what the hotel says back!