We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on hotel choice please

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Topic
Advice on hotel choice please

Hi, I need a bit of advice, we have been to PRDO before and loved the hotel and Cuba. We would like to return to Cuba next year and we have looked at the PRDO and our travel agent also mentioned the Playa Pesquero. Now the price difference between the two hotels for four adults is nearly £2000!! So my question is whether is it worth paying that much extra?

Advice needed please :-)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

I have just returned from the Playa Pesquero for the first time in 7 years and I can assure you it is ever bit as good as it used to be.

It can't compare to the PRDO, of course but, at nearly £2000 cheaper for 4 adults it's certainly worth it. I can honestly say that this is one hotel I have no hesitation in recommending.

Edited: 3:23 pm, September 29, 2013
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

Thanks Bellagio, what notable differences would we find between the two? (Apart from children)

Thanks

Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
841 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

You can't really compare the 2 they are different classes 4 star versus 5 star...so every thing is different.

So it comes down to...after staying at a Cuban 5 Star, will you be happy at a cuban 4star...regarless of price.

Everything will be "less" which is why there is a different rating for the two.

IF you want to save 500 each..and are going to be fine with "less" then go for it. If you or anyone in your group will be disappointed with "less" and will end up comparing all week, then it's worth it for you to pay the extra and go with what you know and love.

Sometimes saving a few bucks is worth it...sometimes not...only you and your group can decide that.

Edited: 7:46 pm, September 29, 2013
Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
841 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

OOPS !!!! SO SORRY!!! I mis-read your question OP Thought you were asking about PCV

Every one says PP is excellent I am sure the savings will be worth it!

I have not been because it is a little bigger than we normally like..but that is my Fav beach :-)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

As cdngal44 girls says there will be a difference because the PRDO is 5 star, whilst the Pesquero is 4 star plus.

The most noticeable difference will be in the size of the resort, Pesquero having 3 times as many rooms as the PRDO and therefore more people. Discounting the Royal Service, the rooms at PRDO are slightly better than those of the Pesquero and, good as the food selection in the buffet is at the Pesquero, the PRDO is slightly better.

However I have always thought that the PRDO was overpriced myself, and I'm sure you will be very happy at the Pesquero.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

I've stayed at the PDRO, as well as the RPT, PCV. SLYM, Blau, and Club Amigo (not a great idea). While I have not stayed at the PP, I would agree with Bellagio that the PDRO is overpriced. Having said that, it is very nice, just not really worth the differnce in price.

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

I've stayed at PRDO, as well as the RPT, PCV and PP. I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say that I would pay an additional $500/person to stay at PRDO without hesitation. The difference in the level of service, the food, and the fact that it is adults only, in my mind, is easily worth $500.00.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

Thank you all for your contributions. A few more questions from the others:

Beer, what is available?

Spirits - any branded? (mind you as long as there is rum both dark and white it will be fine!!)

Food in buffet - do they have stations where it is cooked in front of you and is there a selection of meats and fish to be cooked to your liking?

A'la'cartes - are they any good.

We know if we do go the the PP we mustn't compare it so i thought if i could get as much info as possible it will help make the decision. We have looked at the photos of the PP on here and it does look lovely and in some ways very similar to the PRDO, the beach at the PP to my eyes looks better.

Thanks again to you all.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

Beders available are: Cristal, Bucanero, Mayabe and Becks.

There are branded spirits: Jamesons comes to mind.

Several cooking stations (at least six) in the evening buffet.

a la cartes are also good: Romantico, Gondola, Le Grill, Seafood, Trattoria, Caribbean plus 2 that you have to pay for.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on hotel choice please

Thanks again Bellagio again for your fab advice. Can you get lobster and steak without paying supplements?

Also is the snorkelling any good?

Get answers to your questions about Holguin