We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad reviews about RPT- Riu Playa Turquesa

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bad reviews about RPT- Riu Playa Turquesa

Can anyone tell me about this resort and if I should change it. I thought the Riu was a good hotel. I have travelled many times to Cuba (8), so I do know what t expect regarding food. I have not been to Holguin. The reviews have not been very good. Example: People being sick regarding food. This is not good as I am bringing my 77 year old mother in law who is recovering from cancer. You pay good money to stay at a reputable resort for two weeks. Kind of scared about some of the reports.

Please advise.

Thanks Tina

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad reviews about RPT- Riu Playa Turquesa

If you've been to Cuba 8 times already- I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Holguin is no different than Varadero or Cayo Coco in regards to food safety etc..

People get sick on vacation. Some people aren't careful about what they consume. Admittedly- Cuba does not have the same food hygiene standards as we do- but you know that already.

All resorts have bad reviews. All resorts have people coming home ill. If you're not used to the food, do not wash your hands regularily, are not careful about what you consume (I stay away from the hamburgers and the pork) over consume (some people eat 6 meals a day there just cause they're available) drink too much, etc.. people get ill and automatically say that they have been food poisoned which isn't always the case at all.

I stayed at this hotel a couple of years back when it was under Sirenis management and it was a solid 4 star as far as I was concerned.

I'm going to Playa Costa Verde in 10 days and you should see the reviews from the last month! Scary! But, I'm going and will make my own decisions about the place rather than be scared off by a couple of people that had a bad experience. More people will come on TA to write about a crappy vacation than a good one. Keep that in mind.

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad reviews about RPT- Riu Playa Turquesa

Thank you so much for your review...I always make the best no matter of the reviews, but was worried about the food as this concerned me. My hubby and I do not need to be taking mom to the hospital. She always travels with us, so she knows Cuba...One of my favorite destinations other than Venezuela.

take care and enjoy your holiday,

Tina

Gatineau
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad reviews about RPT- Riu Playa Turquesa

I agree with CubaJunkie0913 about the food/drink consumption and hand washing. This, of course, is a given wherever you travel. What I can add is that I go there 3 times a year since 2009 and, while I am a bit of cheerleader for the place, I recognize its limitations. It is not the most luxurious place i have ever stayed but the rooms are clean and very livable for my purposes. It is definitely not the place with the awesomest food in the world. I have a bit of finicky stomach but I generally eat what I want and I have not had any issues with food poisoning (knock on wood - as I will be there next month). Many people have an issue with lukewarm food but at any meal you can get food cooked for - this takes a little longer but it is something you may want to do. I always just eat the buffet food, unless it is omelettes in the morning or something special in the evening. If you take a look at more reviews, you will see it runs the gamut from "it is hell on earth" to "it is paradise and I never wanted to come home". Somewhere in between there is your truth - don't worry about the food though as long as you use some common sense. The Holguin area is wonderful and if you have enjoyed your vacations in other parts of Cuba, you will like it here. As you will read though, there are many stairs for your mom-in-law but there are paths to walk around the long way up and there are also carts you could call for rides around the ground.

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad reviews about RPT- Riu Playa Turquesa

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so looking forward to coming to Cuba once again and to the Riu Playa Turquesa...As long as there is variety in the food it is amazing what meals you can make. Just have to be imaginative. I always bring my spices - garlic, chili peppers...

Mom will be fine with the stairs.

Thanks again,

Tina

5. Re: Bad reviews about RPT- Riu Playa Turquesa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 05, 2014