We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money !!

Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
spending money !!

Hi,

my husband and i ( not wishing to sound like the queen ) are going to Brisas Guardelavca (A I) on the 1st may for 3 wks. am i right in thinking that a small amount of cash for tips and so on is fine and that we can use our debit card to buy or get cash should we need ??

"H"

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money !!

"H":

You are right, provided that the bank issuing your debit card has no connection with the US. Personally, I would take a little more cash as remember, your UK bank does charge a fee for foreign transactions.

Have a read of my Inside Page on Currency and Credit Cards at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c69372/Cuba…

Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money !!

thanks for that

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money !!

You are welcome. Anything else you need to know please ask.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money !!

Definitely bring cash and get it exchanged either at the Holguin airport cadeca or at your hotel's. As Bellagio mentions, the debit/credit card companies will charge an extra fee on top of their exchange rate.

Next, simply ask the bank teller for smaller bill denominations (Cuba has a 3$ bill!) and then the front desk may be able to get those bills into peso coins for you. The bigger bills will come in handy at the store, should you have to stock up on anything. Enjoy your trip!

5. Re: spending money !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 11, 2014