We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

Toronto
Level Contributor
61 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

Hi everyone, which restaurants do you recommend at Playa Pesquero? I understand that you are allowed 4 for the week, right? We are traveling with young children so early reservations will be a must. Thanks

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

These were my views on the restaurants when I last visited, things may have changed since then:

Romantico: This is the best restaurant without any shadow of doubt. It holds 154 people and is the only indoor, air conditioned restaurant at the hotel. There is a grand piano and the pianist is, as you would expect, very good and the musical accompaniment to your meal is very welcoming and romantic.

La Gondola: Both this restaurant and the Romantico are situated at the rear of the resort and if you are in Building 10 to 28 it is a long walk to get here so it may be advisable to take a buggy - a definite must should it be raining or you are running a little late. This restaurant is beautifully themed - you have to walk over a small wooden bridge to gain entry and the restaurant is surrounded by water with a large floating gondola at the front. There are several boardwalks leading out to small palapa type islands where an individual table for two is laid out. There are only a few of these, around five I believe, with everyone else dining inside the main restaurant. La Gondola has quite a reasonable capacity so there was little problem booking this restaurant. The meal was wonderfully presented and was piping hot, but the vegetable portions were disappointing small, and I mean small.

Asiatic: I was rather disappointed with this because I had expected Asian cuisine. Some people I spoke to enjoyed it so really it's just down to a matter of taste. Word is that this will eventually be turned into a Japanese Restaurant but still no sign of this happening yet..

Seafood: This is the restaurant on the beach where you can also have lunch but at night it becomes the seafood a la carte. Good choice of seafood menu. . Unfortunately the chairs and tables are all plastic and IMHO this does distract somewhat from what otherwise is an enjoyable meal. .

Le Grill (Steakhouse): . At this restaurant you help yourself to the starters, which consist of a soup and salad bar, and your dessert but the waiters serve the main course. I chose the Filet Mignon which was surprisingly tender. This restaurant is also open at lunchtime for a buffet lunch where the salads were excellent.

Club Cubano: At lunchtime you can have chicken and fries here but in the evening it becomes the Vegetarian restaurant. I loved the Chicken Julienne and fries at lunchtime, washed down with a mojito or two. Whilst I am no vegetarian I had to try the restaurant in the evening once and it was virtually deserted. The portions were quite large and I must say, surprisingly, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. I had the puff pastry stuffed with mushrooms and it was truly delicious. However I would imagine if you are only staying for one week this restaurant would be one of those you would give a miss.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

Bellagio, in all my searches for descriptions of the a la cartes at PP, that was the clearest, most detailed description of them. Thanks!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

Thanks but it was part of my review of the PP which is around 4 years old.

Here is a slideshow of one of my visits:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

Hello Belagio,

IWe fully concur with all of your restaurant reviews. We did not try the Vegetarian Restaurant..

We would not suggest taking young children to the Romantica. It would be unfair to the children and to the guests. It is too quiet for the kids and too long a meal. For the adult diners, it ceases to be "Romantica" witih children fussing.

Kiudos on your identifying in you photos a banana PLANT ( and not a tree) - ditto for the HOBIE Cat (and not Hobby cat).

Cheers

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

stanita:

Regards the banana plant. I worked for a banana importing company for 37 years!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
61 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

Great information, thank you all. And I appreciate the comments about the kids at Romantico, long dinners with screaming kids is not what I would call fun...

And I understand the booking is done asap, preferably in the morning? Any tips and tricks on that?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

Bellagio, I just went to look up your review and it isn't there. It says you only have 2 reviews, neither of which is the PP.

Menet, the advice I've read so far for booking the a la cartes is to go in the afternoon, or just before they open. (although I'm not sure what time they open)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

Haber:

My review isn't on TA. I have sent you a PM.

9. Re: Which a-la-carte restaurants? - Playa Pesquero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, September 07, 2010