We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

We will be touring New Zealand by rental car in February. We are considering one night on Waiheke island, and I am just wondering what might make more sense - to take the car ferry over, therefore having the car on the island, or to park the car (is there parking near the passenger ferry terminal) and be foot passengers to the island.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

In general, it is useful to have your own transport on Waiheke, so I would probably take the car over.

Of course, one of the main things to do on Waiheke is visiting wineries and winery visits, so the car driver is obviously a bit limited as to how much tasting they can do !!

The other option is to go over as foot passengers and then rely on buses and/or organised tours to get you around, but I would go for taking the car.

auckland
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

You can get the return car ferry for $120 incl two passengers. It's called the Freightlink service. The passenger ferry is $35 each return. So it's only $50 difference to take the car. You want to go all the way out to ManOWar Bay, and Stoney Batter. And to each of the beaches.. Palm Beach, Onetangi and Oneroa, especially buying an ice cream cone from Little Oneroa. Book lunch at Casita Miro. Have dinner at Cable Bay Restaurant. Breakfast is definately Wai Kitchen in Oneroa. All of these things will be easier with a car. If you want a wine tour just get one like ananda to pick you up from your lodging. Otherwise do a tasting at Te Whau, Stoneyridge and Cable Bay. Just dont drink a bottle at each one! We know, we live here! PS stay two days...!

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

Thanks for the great responses. I had already calculated that the difference between two foot passengers, and one car, was not huge - thought it seemed to make sense to take a vehicle, but your answers have confirmed that.

I have booked one night - do you really think two nights would be better? Then we are headed for Paihia after that - how many nights do you think would be adequate to stay there? We were planning 4 nights there.

auckland
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

Trust me. In one night you will arrive, run around like crazy, and leave. Stay 2 nights, and then 3 in Paihia will be plenty. If you stick to the list above, you could get the 9 am ferry across to the island, drive out to Man O War Bay etc, then peel back through to casita miro for lunch (book). Then maybe a couple of wineries like stoneyridge and Te whau. The next day do the beaches picnic lunch, art galleries and Then dinner at cable bay (book). Then you can get up and off and drive straight to pahia. It's a long drive. If you like art look up the sculpture walk at oconnells bay, it's extraordinary. Yes, you will need to book that too!

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

Thanks. Sounds like a nicer pace, to take two nights on the island.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,246 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

While a day/night would provide a great opverview of Waiheke, 2 nights will provide a leisurely pace and extend the range of sightseeing-dining/relaxing options. Hope you go for the longer stay idea. Taking a car across from Half Moon Bay to Waiheke will certainly provide you with a better opportunity to explore Waiheke more fully if you are prepared to navigate your way to the vehicular ferry terminal in Pakuranga (Auckland).

3 nights in the BOI would be adequate. If you are planning to visit Cape Reinga,then I suggest you park the rental and take the guided coach tour option. If you wanted to do a round Northland trip, 4 nights would provide for a better encounter. However, you wouldn't want to take a night off your Waiheke visit in favour of adding on to the BOI stay in the long run.

Edited: 5:46 pm, September 19, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

While I suppose this is changing the subject (sorry) - I am wondering if you might have any thoughts on a good area to stay on the west side of the northland area. I have now booked 2 nights on Waiheke Island, followed by 3 nights in Paikia, and then we have one night to fill prior to a final night in Auckland before we depart. (Dargaville area?)

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

I normally recommend Sunset View lodge in Baylys Beach as the best B&B option near the southern (Dargaville) end of the west coast road.

9. Re: We will have a rental car. Should we take it or park it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 22, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Waiheke Island