We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiheke Car Rental?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Waiheke Car Rental?

Werented from Waiheke Auto Rentals. Despite boooking via their website a month in advance when we got off the ferry & went to their office the guy said we were an "unallocated booking" ie they had our booking but had not allocated a car. It took him (otherwise nice guy) about 5 mins to work this out. We had to carry our bags, some groceries etc for a weekend, about 200 yards on a path which then turned to gravel (not good for wheelibags!). We then met a girl behind a counter who after I got her attention away from something else served us by continuing to eat her lunch roll with one hand while tapping the computer keyboard with her other hand. The car was ok but was about a 10 year old Japanese used import with 120000kms on the clock, a bit smelly/stale inside, and a radio that didn't work on the NZ FM frequency band. I paid the extra to reduce the insurance excess to $500 from $3500 but had to laugh as I don't think the car would have been worth $3500 in the first place. I've rented cars all round the world but here I felt a bit lke they were loaning me the crown jewels. And finally we got charge for 3 days despite having the car for 48 hours. All ok but vey ordinary & you can't help but feel that "it's an island" not the mainland is an excuse to be sloppy.

76 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

What? unprofessional and sloppy is now called "unique" I guess as most companies run like this don't survive very long. Must be unique you have survived as long as you have. Its just a shame the comments here aren't hailing your company something to be proud of for Waiheke Island. Sounds like a company to avoid if visiting Waiheke.

J T
Opua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

I also had a great experience with Di from Fun Rentals and would recommend that company. The reportedly poor service at Waiheke Car Rental is probably the best marketing technique for Fun Rentals.

Auckland Central...
1 post
Save Reply
53. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Waiheke car rental?

Total rip-off

picked up a car at 4pm, was charged for the whole day,

their excuse? it's a holiday destination.

I've rented many cars in many countries, it's always been on a 24 hour period from the time of rental.

I have since learned that locals would never use them, only tourists get scammed by these people

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

If tourists are being scammed by these people, why are they still allowed to operate a business? Surely they can be charged with some offences? Fair Go?

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

I'm with Val. Why haven't these idiots been reported to Fair Go?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

I'm pretty sure they were featured on Fair Go last year.

Auckland, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
57. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

I wouldn't bother with Fun Rentals either...

After booking a scooter online, we arrived on the island to be greeted with an additional $20/day 'overnight fee' and the news that a large part of the island was off limits and we'd be hit by fines if we ventured into these gravelled road areas. After forking out the extra cash we grabbed our scooter and hit the road... almost literally. The steering column was so wobbly that cornering was a very scary experience (and I'm a motorcycle rider).

I quickly returned the scooter and was given a new scooter. This one proved to be almost as bad - the rear tyre was flat and none of the indicators worked. I returned the following day to get a refund or a third scooter, but instead got ignored and left at the premises while Bob left to return punters to the ferry. An hour later he turned up, booked in a few more punters, ignored me and left once again... So I proceeded fill the tyre myself (from less than 10psi) and used hand signals for the rest of the holiday.

On returning the scooter at the agreed time, Bob didn't show up. We tried to call and waited almost 2 hours - we eventually gave the helmets and keys to the coffee shop up the road and took the bus to the ferry.

Some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Auckland, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
58. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

duplicate post

Edited: 6:59 pm, January 09, 2015
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
10 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

Just thought I'd throw my comments in here on this topic. My partner and I were going to Waiheke for the day and wanted to see the whole island and thought that renting a car would be the best way. After reading this thread I was pretty scared about renting from Waiheke Car Rental but felt like (a) we had no other decent options that were very convenient at the ferry terminal, and (b) I was armed with the experiences here from many posters (thank you, thank you, thank you!). So we decided to take the plunge and in addition to having the woman that checked over the car go through all the dents and dings, I also took many pictures of the car we got.

Well, as other posters have already mentioned, we got a beat up old Toyota as our rental. It had so many dents and dings and scratches that the poor woman was taking notes for many minutes! It was pretty ridiculous. It was also ridiculous that the hub caps on the car were attached with zip ties because they clearly no longer stayed on. This car was well, well, worn and beaten up. Despite its appearance, the car worked reasonably well. The interior didn't smell, the brakes (which were important to me since we drove on the gravel road out to Man O' War winery) worked fine, and it seemed in reasonably good mechanical shape. There were rattles and noises, but it got the job done.

When we returned it, I took more pictures of the car all around and turned it over. Also snapped a picture of the gas station receipt when we filled it up before returning it. We'll see if there's any shenanigans played now that we're done, I'm keeping an eye on my credit card account. So far there's only the pending charge for the rental amount and nothing more. I'm hoping it stays at that, but based on prior experience I won't be surprised.

So while the car was a piece of junk, the experience we had hasn't proven to be a complete disaster. Time will tell if it stays that way or not. If it doesn't, you can rest assured that I'll post something here about what ensues. In the meantime, thanks to all those that came before us and took the time to post about your experience.

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
60. Re: Waiheke Car Rental?

NEVER RENT FROM THIS COMPANY

I have just recently returned from a visit to Waiheke Island where I received the worst customer service from Bob the owner of this company.

I booked on the 19th of December for a car in March and on arrival to Waiheke Bob denied having a booking for us even though I had emailed him two weeks previous to confirm pick up.

His way of dealing with customers to to continue to hang up the phone and not deal with the problem.

I am currently disputing the payment with Paypal because he would not provide a refund.

Reply to: Waiheke Car Rental?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waiheke Island