We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

detrimental effects tourism has on Waiheke Island

Auckland
1 post
Save Topic
detrimental effects tourism has on Waiheke Island

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated, my organisation is studying the effects tourism has on the island good and bad, anyone who has an opinion is welcome. How has the wine industry effected the island. do you benefit from all the tourism as a member of the waiheke community?

Sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: detrimental effects tourism has on Waiheke Island

I believe that tourism has been really good for Waiheke. Its close proximity to the city meant it was enevitable but the wine culture has put it on the international scene and it remains a popular weekend escape for Aucklanders and tourists alike. If anything, it's the Waiheke Islanders who have nbo problem cashing in on the tourists and then complain that their hippie paradise is lost:)

Auckland
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: detrimental effects tourism has on Waiheke Island

It's not that we complain, It's just that we get a little tired of tourists coming over and behaving like complete idiots.They seem to think that the rules for civilised behavior do not apply because they are on an island.Try living here for a time, it gets rather boring dealing constantly with pissed and obnoxious people.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: detrimental effects tourism has on Waiheke Island

While I have not been to waiheke Island for many years, it is my observation that tourism has Hijacked NZ to a certain extent.

To explain what I mean, at one time services were provided for the community who needed them etc, transport, ferry, shops etc and were all geared to the way we lived.

Nz ers went their own way with cheap import cars etc so abandoned many of the serices till they were no longer economical to run so they ceased.

along with deregulation in so many industries, private enterprise then saw an opportunity, and marketed services for 'tourists'. this resulted in many services being available at a significantly higher price and good quality, along with low quality services at cheap prices.

the low price operators have a detrimental effect on the sutainaility of the huge investment made by the high priced and high quality operator, while the low cost operators has a negitive effect on the service.

the problem is that locals are often ignored in the process either with service or lack there of and becomne stuck in the middle.

4. Re: detrimental effects tourism has on Waiheke Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 23, 2009