We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand Rent-a-car Picton AVOID AVOID AVOID !

Leicester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
New Zealand Rent-a-car Picton AVOID AVOID AVOID !

We hired a Nissan Sunny for 12 days, bodywork had numerous dents and very bad scratches which we made him take photos so that we were not accused of making them, on leaving we travelled for over an hour when the rain started the wipers were dreadful I could see nothing out of the passenger side, on day 12 we had a massive blow out on a flat road (thank god) we had to change the tyre and limp to a garage which they told us we had an eligle repair on it, but still we had to pay the $170 for a new tyre, next day we had another flat this time it was a perished valve, another $20. All this was pointed out to the hire company, our lives were put at risk by this badly maintained vehicle

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,221 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand Rent-a-car Picton AVOID AVOID AVOID !

I will bet that you chose this company based only on it having the lowest price.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand Rent-a-car Picton AVOID AVOID AVOID !

2 tyre issues, that's not good.

I can also sympathise with you about the windscreen wipers. We've had this issue in the past using very reputable companies.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand Rent-a-car Picton AVOID AVOID AVOID !

Sometimes no matter how much one provides advice as to how to undertake a car rental it is often never enough. Again here we find a new TA ember who has managed to find TA to lodge a complaint but not check out a holiday prior to going.

A question for Christine after she has answered Sydneynicks question. If the vehicle was is such disrepair why did you carry on with the hire and not go next door to one of the other car rental companies at Picton Ferry terminal?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand Rent-a-car Picton AVOID AVOID AVOID !

I hear what everyone is saying about not picking the cheapest, to an extent I'm inclined to agree in realistic terms, it's a sad fact of life but regardless of the price paid you should be able to expect a safe and well maintained vehicle. Most peoles presumption would be that cheaper means smaller and older, not a knacker!

Dents and scratches are to be expected on an older model, it should not have a bearing on the overall maintenance of the vehicle.

In the UK a company like that would not be allowed to operate, putting peoples lives in danger should not have a price tag attached to it!

I have worked in various sections of vehicle hire & maintence over here and am absolutely apalled that people are blaming the renter for a bad choice.

Since when did a having a budget mean that you get poor quality on what is potentially a dangerous weapon.

Had somebody been killed as a result from the blow out I'm sure the police would not be looking into the renters budget and flagelating them for not being richer!

5. Re: New Zealand Rent-a-car Picton AVOID AVOID AVOID !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 08, 2013