We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Picton / Marborough Sounds, NZ

Which Picton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Picton / Marborough Sounds, NZ

Hello, we're booking our first trip to NZ, and looking to spend time in Marborough Sounds between Christmas and New Years. Ideally, I'm looking for a chilled place to hang out for New Years in the vicinity of Picton, which we'll be using as our base for about 5 days. Are there fireworks or other concerts in the area? Or suggestions for a night on the town - not a posh meal, just a fun but not too wild evening. Thanks for your suggestions! cheers!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,291 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Picton / Marborough Sounds, NZ

There is always quite a party at the various resorts out in the Sounds, such as Furneaux Lodge, but not the sort of formal thing you are looking for.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Picton / Marborough Sounds, NZ

Welcome to the forum :)

You also might want to head out to one of the lodges and enjoy a special New Years Eve. I haven't stayed at Lochmara but have visited for the day http://www.lochmaralodge.co.nz/

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Picton / Marborough Sounds, NZ

Picton Foreshore on New Years Eve is usually a good, safe place to be and I am sure there are still fireworks at midnight. It is a lot quieter than spending N.Y.E. in Italy as I know from experience. Walking around Florence on NYE was frightening with fireworks, bottles and other debris being thrown from upper storey windows to the streets below. As written above, lodges in the Sounds can be fun too but every NYE I spent on Picton Foreshore was a friendly and enjoyable event. Check with the I Site as to what entertainment is booked to perform.

4. Re: New Years Eve in Picton / Marborough Sounds, NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, November 22, 2012