We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akaroa or Kaikoura for whale / dolphin watching

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Akaroa or Kaikoura for whale / dolphin watching

Hi all, I hope someone will be able to help with a query I have. We are a family of 4 with two girls aged 7 & 11. We would like to book a tour to see both whales and dolphins but I am not sure if we can do it all in one tour (we are not too keen on swimming with dolphins) . I read somewhere that Akaroa is the best place to see the Hector dolphins and you go to Kaikoura for whale watching. Is this correct? I would appreciate any comment on this.

Many thanks

Dushy

Mentioned in this post
Akaroa
Akaroa
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akaroa or Kaikoura for whale / dolphin watching

Kaikoura is the place for whale watching. they also have excellent dolphin viewing, encounters and swimming

http://www.dolphinencounter.co.nz/

Sometimes the whale tours do also encounter dolphins. but for swimming you would need to book two separate trips.

I would recommend kaikoura over Akaroa for a family. The seals are also fun and can often be viewed at Ohau waterfall (26km north of kaikoura), or the many colonies along the highway. Or a colony in Kaikoura at the start of the peninsula walkway track.

Mentioned in this post
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Akaroa
Akaroa
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,844 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akaroa or Kaikoura for whale / dolphin watching

There are no whales at Akaroa as it is an enclosed harbour. Kaikoura offers more variety of marine mammals - and the seal viewing is free!

Mentioned in this post
Akaroa
Akaroa
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akaroa or Kaikoura for whale / dolphin watching

I can definitely recommend the Kaikoura whale watch tour.I was a bit apprehensive at first as I am not a great traveller on rough seas and was concerned as to what the conditions would be like.I played safe and took travel sickness tablet and had no problems.

It was a great trip in which we saw four sperm whales and several flying albatrosses.

Mentioned in this post
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akaroa or Kaikoura for whale / dolphin watching

Thanks very much for your comments. Kaikoura it is then!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akaroa or Kaikoura for whale / dolphin watching

Book Whalewatch once you know your dates as they do sell out. http://www.whalewatch.co.nz

We had sightings of four sperm whales on my trip.

6. Re: Akaroa or Kaikoura for whale / dolphin watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 06, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Akaroa