We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Akaroa

Which Akaroa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire Akaroa

Hi I want to hire a car in January in Akaroa. I am having trouble locating any car rental places? Can anyone help me? Cheers.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire Akaroa

As far as I know there is no car rental agency in Akaroa.

Akaroa is a tiny settlement which people drive to rather than drive from - I'm guessing you are arriving on a cruise and wish to have a car for a few hours?

I suggest you contact the Chch rental agencies to ask if they can meet you in Akaroa with a car.

best of luck :)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,321 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire Akaroa

Check out the boards on cruisecritic.com and see if others have tried to do something similar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

NZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire Akaroa

Hi

If you are on a cruise I suggest you check akaroa.com for options. There are no rentals based in Akaroa but there are taxis & vans available for hire. You get a better look at the views that way :) It is a good idea to pre book as there are not huge numbers available. Have fun.

Akaroa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire Akaroa

Some rental cars are available for hire from Akaroa wharf. Please contact Andrew Colville, Director, Just Book it Ltd- Shore Excursions NZ, andrew@justbookit.co.nz

Ph +64 21 330681

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire Akaroa

Thanks everyone for your tips!

Central Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire Akaroa

FYI Andrew Colville did get back to me with a car rental quote. It was quite pricey. There are nice shuttle busses to Christchurch that run fairly frequently I am told...and someone on the cruise said she prebooked tickets.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire Akaroa

Hi There

There is only one car hire in Akaroa which happens to be right on the wharf. We hired a car from a guy called Andrew from Shore Excursions, Akaroa car rentals. He took care of everything it was quick and easy and more cost effective than renting from mainstream companies.

Before booking with Andrew, we had called one Christchurch company but it was going to cost us a small fortune to get there just to collect the car. Even though Andrews hire cost us a little more, it turned out cheaper than renting a car from Christchurch and meant we had the whole day ahead of us from the wharf till the time we dropped off the car.

His number was 0800 548 348

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Suzi

Baltimore USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire Akaroa

Thanks for the tip. We met Andrew Colville on the Akaroa pier. We needed a car to drive from Akoroa to the Christchurch area and later leave it at the airport. We agreed on a price, he delivered a reliable car on time, and was at the airport a few days later to pick it up from us. Not cheap, but nothing in NZ is, and it worked out well. Def recommend him.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire Akaroa

<<Not cheap, but nothing in NZ is, >>

I would appreciate an expansion on this comment as it seems quite outrageous to me.

If one considers that Akaroa is off the beaten track and is not a first choice place to uplift rental cars one must expect to pay for the extra costs incurred in meeting ones wishes.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire Akaroa

Hi There

I agree with beanb above.

The car hire in Akaroa worked out cheaper than sorting out a car from mainstream companies due to pick up and drop off costs and they normally charge the same all over the world.

Drop off and collection costs and convenience must all be taken into perspective.

Prices for tours in nz cost less than Aussie tours and work out comparatively cheaper if taken in nz.

There is only one car hire in Akaroa which happens to be right on the wharf. We hired a car from a guy called Andrew from Shore Excursions, Akaroa car rentals. He took care of everything it was quick and easy and more cost effective than renting from mainstream companies.

Before booking with Andrew, we had called one Christchurch company but it was going to cost us a small fortune to get there just to collect the car. Even though Andrews hire cost us a little more, it turned out cheaper than renting a car from Christchurch and meant we had the whole day ahead of us from the wharf till the time we dropped off the car.

His number was 0800 548 348

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Suzi