We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

hi! im travelling with my husband and 7 yr old to Akaroa this Sept. We will be coming from CHC, stay there for a day , then travel to Akaroa.

We have an overnite stay in Akaroa at La Rochelle Motel.

My questions are:

1.) Travelling from CHC to Akaroa- is it better to rent a car or travel by coach?

2.) We have a whole day in Akaroa, with a little boy... any tips to keep him interested

3.) Where do you reckon are the best fish and chips, and good restaurants we can go that are kid friendly?

Tks in advance

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

Hi Skyblue0917

Question 1 - have done both in the past - no car - walked everywhere when I was in my early 20's - no problem but with kids have always had a car. Akaroa is sort of in two halves - the main area by the wharf and then the other end by the tourist info place (playground behind that) with other shops etc. With 7 year old who might get tired easily esp because travelling and too big for push chair etc I would play it safe and go for car. You might find by the time the three of you get the bus there and back it might be more expensive than a cheap car. When my in-laws come down for weekends with their girls they always rent a car from 'rent a dent'. They seem to do okay with that.

Question 2. While still off season and a bit cold look at going out on the Akaroa harbour cruise to see the wildlife. You could get a little hand held fishing line and fish off the wharf - but be careful - long wharf with deep water at the end. As already mentioned the play ground at the other end of town. There is a stoney beach by the wharf - my kids love playing skip stones if the water is calm. Go up to the old cemetry on the hill - play who can find the oldest head stone (a bit weird but fun) - loads of history with it.

Sorry that is about it re that - we go there to fish.

Question 3 - sorry been years since I brought food there - kids eat too much now so I usually bring food - cheaper. However last time we did buy fish and chips from the shop there it was expensive (nice but expensive)

Have a great trip

cheers

kiwi

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

There is only one F&C shop in Akaroa.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

It is a busy fush n chuppery but has not let me down in 3 trips and will go again in October. Must admit the fresh catch that you can buy from the trawler at the wharf takes some beating but we stay in a holiday home so not hard to prep.

......get a car and take a different route home as this is a sensational trip around the hills .(may be wise to get some car sick pills for the billy lid).

Stop at the Little River Store....good house made tukker....art and general gear.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,201 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

I think the general store just by the old Post Office, now the "i" site just past the Shell station also sell F&C. The little River gallery is a "must stop". If you have a car and take the other road back then have a walk along the beach at O'kanes bay. There are a bunch of other bays as well, but I have not checked them all out yet,

christchurch, new...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

the fish & chip shop on beach road is fabulous, order the fresh fish of the day for a real treat.

A harbour cruise with Black Cat Cruises is a must to discover rare and friendly Hector's dolphins, blue penguins, seal and other wildlife. you also get a free Hector's fun activity book for kids.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

thank you for these informations, very helpful, we might as well rent a car to go around...

7. Re: my family's first time to visit akaroa (SEP)..need some tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 16, 2011