We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Akaroa

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Akaroa

Hi there,

We will be in NZ for 3 weeks at Chrsitmas/New Year. Our final night in NZ will be spent in Akaroa but I've checked the reviews on here & nowhere is leaping out at me as a great place to stay. Does anyone have any recommendations? Maison de la Mer looks nice but is slightly out of our price range (our budget is around approx NZD 250 per night). Is it worth paying extra to stay here? Other potential options are Garthown, Oinako or even Tresori. I'd be grateful if anyone has any thoughts to share.

12 weeks to go, 12 weeks to go ..........

Thanks,

Lucy.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Akaroa

Hullo Lucy, I have just had five nights at Maison de la Mer in Akaroa and cannot recommend it highly enough (I have just written a review). It is a bit expensive, but look at it this way: You're prepared to spend $250 anyway so staying there is only another $100 or so for one night's stay in a really beautiful place. I do think it's worth it: it was somewhat out of my price range, too, but I really felt I 'needed' what Carol and Bruce had to offer - and they do so, so very generously. You will be delighted by their meticulous attention to the smallest details, and the breakfasts are scrumptious - by candlelight! I have now decided that life is too short not to have candlelight at breakfast - I recommend the Eggs Benedict (perfect). Good luck with it all, have fun!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Akaroa

Akaroa is a very beautiful and special place to spend your final night in NZ. It is also very popular at this time of year - so whatever you do, I would advise booking asap to ensure you get what you want. Something with a seaview would be my pick if you can get it - what about Bruce Apartments or L'Hotel (ask for the unit directly above restaurant that faces the sea for fab views). We have stayed at Oinako many years ago and was very good aswell. Enjoy.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Akaroa

Thanks both for your advice. Jinks - you talked me into it, I've just booked Maison de la Mer (we got the last room - the Provence suite). Found out I got a pay rise today so that helps me justify the extra expense & it sounds like its worth it. Can't wait!

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Akaroa

Glad to hear you're staying at Maison de la Mer, Lucy. I stayed in the Fleur de Lys suite but I peeked into the Provence - gorgeous. I do hope you feel the extra expense justified. Jinks.

5. Re: Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Akaroa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, September 12, 2009