We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take a look. Tell me what you think. Please make suggestion

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Take a look. Tell me what you think. Please make suggestion

Hi everyone;

My husband and I are in our mid 30s and are Brits living in Melbourne for the next couple of years due to work commitments. We're taking the opportunity to see this part of the World and would like to spend a week in October exploring the Perth, Freo and Margaret River area.

We hope that next year we can return and do Perth to Broome over a much longer period of time but for now a taster of WA will have to do.

Plan is to fly into Perth on Saturday 1st October arriving 10:45am. We'll pick up a hire car and head to Freo checking in at Port Mill B&B for the next 3 nights. Hope to have a walk round Freo, stroll through the market. A friend has suggested the suburbs of Claremont and Subiaco for a wander before spending the rest of the evening in Freo.

Sunday 2nd October hope to spend at Rottnest Island. Should I book transportation there in advance or wait until we're there just to check the weather is ok?

Monday 3rd October spend the day in Perth wandering around the city and spending time in Kings Park. Anywhere else we should head to? Suggestions as to whether we should drive or take public transport from Freo?

Tuesday 4th October hit the road to Margaret River going through Busselton, Dunsborough and Yallingup. Any good recommendations for lunch in any of these areas? Check in at Margaret River guesthouse for next 3 nights. Dinner in Margaret River. Should I make dinner reservations or will we be ok just to walk in to places?

Wednesday 5th October - day tour with Top Drop Tours

Thursday 6th October - a day to spend exploring ourselves. Thinking about driving to Prevelly, taking a look at Leeuwin lighthouse and Augusta. Any good lunch stops or other places we should drop in at? We won't have done chocolate or cheese on our wine tour so should we do that? Where are those places?

Friday 7th October return to Freo. Check in at Fothergills for the one night. Perhaps take a drive to Cottesloe, Scarborough and Hillary's in the afternoon before spending the evening in Freo. Potentially could have dinner in either Cottesloe, Scaborough or Hillary's - any recommendations?

Saturday 8th October - morning whale watching tour with Oceanic Cruises departing Shed B. Back in time for lunch before heading off to the the airport to catch a 17:00 flight back to Melbourne.

I've asked questions along the way so any responses would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take a look. Tell me what you think. Please make suggestion

Hi,

Just thought I would mention that it is school holidays in WA commencing Monday 3 October for two weeks. You might need to get accommodation bookings confirmed.

Hillarys has plenty of great eating places - also ferry departures to Rottnest. Good underwater world there as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take a look. Tell me what you think. Please make suggestion

Thanks. Accommodation is all booked as is car hire, wine tour in Margaret River and whale watching cruise so I've done as much as can be done in advance. Still debating whether to book the Rottnest transportation in advance or wait to see what the weather is doing. Thanks for the heads up about school hols though.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take a look. Tell me what you think. Please make suggestion

1. Good choice of location in Freo- but then i am biased.

2. Claremont and Subi OK for shops and lots of eateries.

3. MUST winebar in Margaret River gets good reviews, i'd book. Choc and cheese well within driving distance of MR. Terrific tourist info place in MR.

4. Not much at Prevelly or Augusta but Leeuwin well worth a visit where the two oceans meet.

5. Bike ride to Cottesloe a great option from Freo- as long as the doctors not blowing too hard for the return ride!!!!

6. Forget Scarborough- it's not what it was IMHO.

7.Hilliarys is a bit of a trek from Freo. I'd have dinner at the Essex.

Hope this helps

4. Re: Take a look. Tell me what you think. Please make suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 07, 2012