We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options from Lauterbrunnen

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Options from Lauterbrunnen

We only have 3 days in Switzerland in October, arriving from Bavaria. I borrowed the following plan from a previous comment:

1) Start at Hotel Silberhorn

2) Catch bus to Trummelbach Falls

3) Easy walk (or bus) from Trummelbach Falls to Stechelberg Gondola station

4) Gondola up to Piz Gloria (via Gimmelwald, Murren)

5) Gondola back down to Murren and walk from there to Gimmelwald (downhill)

6) Gondola back down to Stechelberg Gondola Station

7) Bus back to Lauterbrunnen

My questions are:

a. how difficult will the walk from Murren to Gimmelwald be for a totally unexperienced person?

b. what is the cost for all the gondolas, bus etc? Will it be better to buy a Swiss pass? (We will have a hired car?)

c. will it be worth the while to use one day as day trip to Zermatt?

d. any other suggestions for things to see (not too physical?)

O yes! Very important...with all the above it should be kept in mind our visit will be in October. Not sure how the weather (usually) is that time of year.

Thanks a lot!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

The walk from Gimmelwald is not too difficult. It's slightly uphill but mostly on a paved road. Should take less than an hour if you don't stop too often.

This site has the fares. The Swiss pass will not cover the whole fare. You get a 25% discount I believe.

schilthorn.ch/en/…Price_roundtriptickets

The trip to Zermatt is a long one and in October the days are getting short. I think I would focus on the Jungfrau area.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

You might like to look at an alternative which is to use the train via Grutschalp one way

Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I see transport (trains, gondolas etc) is very expensive. Will it still be worth the while for our family of four to visit the area, with only a car? Or at least to cut down other transport to a bare minimum?

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

Is it possible to do some flyfishing in the Lauterbrunnen valley in early June?

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

Yes, there's no reason you shouldn't still enjoy the area with a car. You can drive along the valley and visit Trummelbach falls and then drive further along to watch the cable car. Perhaps carry on to the end of the road and walk around. You could catch the train to Wengen which is fairly inexpensive and walk down.

You can drive to Grindelwald then over the Gross Scheidegg pass and into Meiringen, stopping frequently along the way. drive back perhaps via the Geisbach falls.

You could add part of your route above as a treat, take the cable car to Grutschalp, then walk to Murren and further along to Gimmelwald, then down on the cable car and bus back to Lauterbrunnen.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

Isn't the Grosse Scheidegg pass buses only? Or has it changed to allow cars, I remember it as being narrow.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

Yes,Smudge99 is correct.

Buses and vehicles belonging to permitted locals only , unless there has been a change since July.

Edited: 8:50 pm, January 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

Yes,Smudge99 is correct.

Buses and vehicles belonging to permitted locals only , unless there has been a change since July.

Edited: 8:50 pm, January 19, 2014
Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

Thank you skitandoori, this is reassuring to know. Can anybody tell me how the Chalet Bärgfee is? It is an apartment, but part of Hotel Silberhorn. The hotel gets very good reviews. We want to stay on a mostly selfcatering basis, as we have a tight budget. Any other recommendations for accomodation in Lauterbrunnen? Or even in Grindelwald? Have anyone had experiences in one of these?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Options from Lauterbrunnen

The Hotel Staubbach is also a nice place to stay. We had a clean, comfortable "attic" room with a shared hallway bath for a very reasonable price. The staff are all wonderful, and can give you a lot of information about things to see and do in the area. Breakfast is included in your room cost, and is served in a sunny room with a beautiful view of the mountains and the valley.

There is a co-op grocery store near the train station where you can buy things for a picnic lunch for your hikes.

There is a campground past the Hotel Staubbach and Staubbach Falls that has a very nice restaurant serving meals a bit less expensive than elsewhere in town.

Consider purchasing a half-fare card for the cable cars and rail trips, but add up the cost of all the trips you are planning to see if the half-fare savings recoup the initial cost of the card.